hen is lethargic and drinking alot of water

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by baucomgop, Nov 10, 2010.

1. baucomgop

baucomgop Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2009
    Annapolis
    My hen was perfectly normal yesterday, scratching and running all over the yard, until late afternoon, she didnt come running when I called like they always do( I have two). I noticed she went to sit in the nest box. Shes laid late before so I left her alone.
    this morning she didnt run out of the coop as soon as I opened the door. She wouldnt leave the water and she had water all down her front, so it seems shes been drinkng alot.
    She is now not scratching, just sitting in the yard by a water can, looking like she wants to go to sleep. She has lately had problems laying eggs, often they are plopped out at night. when she does lay they are rough and a bit mis-shaped.
    any thoughts? I have not noticed runny or bad looking poop- all seemed normal in that area, as well as her usually frisky behaviour.

2. Trampledbygeese

Trampledbygeese Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    I hope you figure it out.

All I can think of is to give her some chicken vitamins in her water. If you can get the ones with rehydration salts it would be a good idea.

Perhaps someone here could be of more help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by