Hen is lethargic, won't eat. Advice?

piper123

Songster
6 Years
Apr 13, 2014
We have a hen that has been a bit of a loner since we got her about a month ago. However, in the last week she not only spends most of her time away from the flock, but she stands there and seems pretty unresponsive. She's lost a lot of weight and has no interest in food. She does drink lots of water and always seems parched. She won't roost with the other chickens or go in or out of her coop until we pick her up. She never let us pick her up before.

She didn't seem to be in great condition when we bought her but was laying eggs and eating, just kind of skinny and had a crossed beak. Her beak didn't seem to be causing her any issues eating before though, so I don't think that is part of the problem. I trimmed her nails because they were insanely long and she did seem to move better for about a day after that, but has been going downhill since.

Her breast bone is protruding and her crop seems rather large, but she is also molting so I'm not sure if I can just see it better because she has no feathers. I don't really know what to do. I've tried making her a chick feed mash and giving her small, mashed fruit but she isn't interested. The feed store has been closed for the past few days so I haven't been able to get her any electrolytes/medicine but plan to go in the morning. If anyone has any advice on what her problem is or what to get, that would be appreciated. We currently have chicks in our brooder/hospital cage so I don't want to spread the disease to them if it's contagious.

Is a vet a option?
Well we have tried that in the past but our vet doesn't know much about chickens and has suggested putting them down everytime we bring one in. Only one actually died of her illness, and all the others survived with home remedies/surgery, so I'm not sure if he'll be of any help.

Back
Top Bottom