hen is sleeping alone

oceanbird

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 11, 2007
My hens are about 6 months old and they have always slept in a huddle on their roosting boards in the coup. Now one hen is sleepng in the laying box every night all alone. What's going on? Should I be worried?

Another thing her comb is so big that it falls over. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Quote:
We had the same thing happen last night. I don't have a solution for you oceanbird but I'm looking forward to replies!

Last night my son and I walked out to the coop and all the hens but one were on the roost. We looked all over for her. She was not walking around the yard...not in the back run...

We found her on the roost by the nesting boxes all alone...just looking down at the boxes. It was so sad...it was like she was sulking and she did not even jump up when we opened the door. She let us pet her as she sat there in the dark. My son and I thought we would have an egg! She was fine this morning...no egg... Maybe she is just tired of her "sisters" and needed some alone time but I am looking forward to what other folks have to say...this was strange behavior for our Moe.

Oh...they are all 4 months old.

One of my buffs started doing that. She layed eggs for about a month then quit. Then she started laying in the nesting box at night. I let her sleep in it once cause I knew she didn't lay that day and didn't know if that's what she was going to do. Anyways next morning she had no egg. She tried sleeping in the box 3 more nights and I took her out and put her on the roost and turned the lights out. She just started laying again after 2 1/2 weeks of no eggs. Don't know if she went broody or what her problem was.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom