Hen is throwing up clearish liquid??

Meandmyhens3

Chirping
Aug 2, 2021
I’ve posted about this already but only got one answer and I’m looking for more insight. I have a 3 year old Rhode Island Red named nugget and I saw throw up yesterday. To give a bit of context about 5 months ago I brought nugget to the vet who had a runny nose, was sneezing, was throwing up just like now and very runny poop. The vet said it was some sort of gut problem or an upper respiratory infection. Long story short we got an antibiotic for a respiratory infection and it cured her. She’s had runny poo the whole time though, that was the only symptom that stuck. Fast forward to now and I saw her throw up again, I didn’t see anything today but I can tell you a couple things. Her crop doesn’t feel abnormally large but I’m checking to make sure it’s emptying. There is no foul smell to indicate sour crop, and she’s acting normal otherwise, so I’m at a real loss. Why is she throwing up? And why does she still have diarrhea after all this time? I tied to get a picture of her butt but they don’t stop moving
040DB7E2-2CC8-46BE-A09B-2010B031B78E.jpeg

Attachments

• 86F99D1E-C9A3-42C1-9959-BC146AE47C32.jpeg
    86F99D1E-C9A3-42C1-9959-BC146AE47C32.jpeg
    840.4 KB · Views: 18
  • CA2BCB95-7D94-4FB5-8718-0014E1C9188B.jpeg
    CA2BCB95-7D94-4FB5-8718-0014E1C9188B.jpeg
    546.7 KB · Views: 18
I would clean her bottom first with some warm water to get the Pooh off. As for the throw up, is it always just water? Do you see her eating regular food? Mine will spit up water , when it’s hot and it looks like throw up. Only it’s due to them drinking a lot at once.

Have you tried cleaning her behind?

Do you have a picture of the “vomit?”

How hot is it?

How is her drinking?
I have tried cleaning her bottom but it got dirty again quickly, unfortunately I dont have a picture of the vomit bc it soaks into the ground very quickly, but it’s mainly clear more foggy looking. It isn’t too hot in the high 70’s F and she has full access to water all day.

I would clean her bottom first with some warm water to get the Pooh off. As for the throw up, is it always just water? Do you see her eating regular food? Mine will spit up water , when it’s hot and it looks like throw up. Only it’s due to them drinking a lot at once.
I’ll clean her bottom again, unfortunately it’s gets dirt again quickly. Her throw up could just be water I’m not sure since I can’t really predict when it’s going to happen so I’ve only seen it a handful of times, but it isn’t abnormally hot, if anything(I’m in NY) late/mid august in the coolest it’s been all summer.

I’ll clean her bottom again, unfortunately it’s gets dirt again quickly. Her throw up could just be water I’m not sure since I can’t really predict when it’s going to happen so I’ve only seen it a handful of times, but it isn’t abnormally hot, if anything(I’m in NY) late/mid august in the coolest it’s been all summer.
Keep an eye that she is able to eat and retaining the feed and not losing weight. She might be taking to much water at once and regurgitates it back. My hens do
That sometimes when they drink to much or are startled it comes up clear drool like.

Keep an eye that she is able to eat and retaining the feed and not losing weight. She might be taking to much water at once and regurgitates it back. My hens do
That sometimes when they drink to much or are startled it comes up clear drool like.
Thank you so much, I’ll be watching her carefully, I also just spotted a hen with a runny nose, so I’m going to have to watch on her too and the rest of the flock, wish me luck.

What are you feeding the chickens? Does your hen lay eggs, and have those been normal? Can you feel her crop in the early morning to see if has emptied, or if it feels full, hard, or puffy? It is hard to tell from the pictures if her crop is large or not. In hot weather, chickens may drink more water. They also may drink more if their crop has a problem with impacted or sour crop. When they drink more they can have runny poops, and those tend to cake onto the last droppings. Chickens may drink a lot and the water can come back up if their head is down, but if they are throwing up, that would be a crop problem.

I would soak her in a 5 gallon bucket about half full with warm soapy water, and rub off all of the soiled vent area. Look at her vent then, for any red irritated area, maggots from flies, or anything unusual. Trim any excess feathers or fluff. Probiotics in the feed or water may help with getting her gut bacteria back to normal. If you have not wormed her recently, either Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer are very good to use.

What are you feeding the chickens? Does your hen lay eggs, and have those been normal? Can you feel her crop in the early morning to see if has emptied, or if it feels full, hard, or puffy? It is hard to tell from the pictures if her crop is large or not. In hot weather, chickens may drink more water. They also may drink more if their crop has a problem with impacted or sour crop. When they drink more they can have runny poops, and those tend to cake onto the last droppings. Chickens may drink a lot and the water can come back up if their head is down, but if they are throwing up, that would be a crop problem.

I would soak her in a 5 gallon bucket about half full with warm soapy water, and rub off all of the soiled vent area. Look at her vent then, for any red irritated area, maggots from flies, or anything unusual. Trim any excess feathers or fluff. Probiotics in the feed or water may help with getting her gut bacteria back to normal. If you have not wormed her recently, either Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer are very good to use.
I feed them Purina Layer pellets they get fruits and veggies occasionally too as well as oyster shells but we recently ran out of those. she is laying eggs still and it seems fine, as far as I know her crop seems to be emptying, and there’s no foul smell to indicate sour crop. But I’m going to clean her today, and thank you for the wormer brands we haven't wormed them but I’ll definitely get those and probiotics too.

Back
Top Bottom