Hen isolating herself

leahmec

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2021
I have a 12 month old Cochin hen who has recently began isolating herself from the flock. She’s always been somewhat reserved and kept to herself but seems to be spending more time alone now. When I let them out in the morning she has always been the last one out but now she’s just staying in the coop laying on the floor (where some of them sleep in a pile). She seems bright and reacts when I pick her up. She joins in to eat and drink and is still laying, but is now rarely going outside and spending most of her time inside alone. She’s not low on the pecking order and seems to get along well with the other hens. She seems to have lost a bit of weight. Is there anything I should be doing or on the look out for? Thanks

Make sure her sac empty’s in the morning, and do you deworm your hens?
Checked this morning and it’s empty and this afternoon was empty too so she didn’t eat today. I haven’t dewormed them - which product should I use? I just noticed that the underside of her chest is bare too

Possibly. Had she had a drop in egg production? Can you feel if her abdomen is swollen and/or keel bone is pronounced?
She hasn’t laid for the last two days which isn’t terribly uncommon. There’s no swelling in her abdomen but her keel bone is more pronounced. That’s where she’s bald too

Back
Top Bottom