1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen Just Up and Died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peep-Chicken, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    I have been on vacation over the weekend, so out older neighbors watched the flock. Anyways, they said that the whole flock was okay last night. This morning they said they checked on the chickens, and my polish hen, Muffin Top, was sitting on the roost acting sickly. They didn't want my other hens picking on her so they moved her to a unused coop. They put her on a crate so she would get fresh air, they said her breathing was off. MT died around noon, they said. She rolled off the crate when I found her. I don't think they have her good or water in the coop, as I found none. Her crop was empty.

Other flock acts fine.

What do you all think?

RIP Muffin 8-13-13/ 9-1-14

2. fuzzybutt love

fuzzybutt love Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Michigan
    If you still have her body, does her crop feel empty? Feel down her chest to between her legs on each side of the bone: no stuck egg, no squishy crop/ chest? No bumblefoot?

(( )) i am sorry.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Maybe the heat?

4. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop

She had bumble foot, but last week I had looked at if to see if it needed surgery, but I felt and it had no kernel. No squishy crop/chest. But I am curious, what does squishy chest mean? A hen we rescued a bit ago had that when she passed... I didn't feel a egg, but it was hard since she was so stiff. Empty crop.

I hope not, I am disappointed as when the neighbors moved her they gave no good or water. I would be really sad if all it was is lack of water :mad:

Thank you both :)

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I doubt your neighbors caused her death. Staph infection from bumblefoot will take out a chicken in no time. You dont "feel" for a kernal, you perform minor surgery to remove the infection right away.

6. vestal13

vestal13 New Egg

Aug 25, 2014
    New Mexico
    I have lost two hens within the past week and a half. Every morning and evening I spend an hour going over everyone, making sure the ladies are happy and healthy. My first hen I lost was completely normal in appearance, no signs of illness, I found her in the morning hardly able to move and shivering. I isolated her with food and water in our stock tank in garage with a heat lamp. She died two hours later. The second happened last night. I locked up the coop, made sure all the girls had made it in(coyotes). I found her in the coop lying on the floor, she was around 8 months old. I am at such a loss as to what could be going on?? These two were both young, crop was free and clear, no egg blockage, happy and healthy appearance Wise.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  7. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    I have to agree hens can die for no apparent reason, sorry for your loss[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by