Hen keeps hurting the other, HELP

Tinarusso888

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 21, 2013
I could use some advice, I'm not sure why this is happening or what to do. I have two hens; one is a Red Sex-link, the other is a barred Plymouth rock (both 6 months old). As of recently, my Red one has been attacking and injuring the black one. They are in a nice coop that is large enough for more, they have plenty of food and water. She is tearing her comb off and taking chunks out of her leg. I have had to bring the black one in the house so that she can heal up because the red one will not stop. I'm not sure what is causing this (other than I have not been able to let them out as much as I normally do) or how to stop it. Could someone please help me with this.

I'm not sure why she has suddenly started acting like that. Try isolating the red hen for a few weeks. When you introduce her back, she may be lower in the pecking order than before.

Maybe keep them separated for a while until they calm themselves down a bit. One is also probably broody but don't worry if one is because the hen will eventually stop the broodiness.

thank you, I have them separated right now. Marceline, the barred Plymouth, is in the house until she heals up from the last attack. Delila, the red sex-linked, is outside in the coop. Also Marcelline is very sociable and loving and Delila isn't so much. Delila never has wanted to be bothered with people or the other animals.

Last edited:
Exactly how large is the coop? Lots of those dollhouse coops say they can house x number of birds when they really can't. I always think of space first with a behavioral issue.

Do you have pics of the birds?

You're welcome. Another option if you want both of them to be outside is to have one of your hens in a chicken tractor. They are actually pretty easy to make (especially since only one would need to be in it) and you can move the tractor around the yard. Hope I helped ;).

thank you. It is the red one that seems to be the aggressive one and the black and white one is on the docile side.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom