Hen keeps leaving eggs

Kymw90

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 6, 2012
Cornwall UK
My Coop
My Coop
I'm in a muddle about what to do. broody is in a cat basket/cage now. Broody on 10 eggs and eggs due date was Saturday. Sure enough chick began hatching over the weekend and by yesterday morning only 4 of the 10 had hatched but the rest were so heavy but not cheeping. I returned yesterday evening and 1 egg had rolled from under broody and had got cold which meant any chick inside would defo be dead. I cracked it open and a chick was inside fully formed without a problem it had just died from getting cold and was without a doubt 24hrs away from hatching. So I have given the eggs more time with broody as I do believ more are on the way.

My problem is she does keep leaving the eggs behind her and obviously she's concentrating on her newest babies. Shes in a small cat basket so theres not loads of room for her to walk away but I got there this morning and again she was sat with the chicks under her but eggs out the back. Also a new chick had indeed hatched so I now have 5! Should I remove the babies until the other eggs have hatched? It could be too late if mum keeps leaving them go cold.
I will be going up in about 3 hours to see her again but what should I do if there is a chance they will hatch?

Last edited:
She has clearly given up on them.
A broody will only wait a couple days and then leave the eggs to care for the ones she knows will survive.

I'd take the eggs and see if you can hatch them yourself with a makeshift incubator.

There's about 4 still to go. Like I said above the cold egg I opened was a chick 24hrs from hatching t just got cold so I believe the other 4 are ready and alive. It's just trying to dcide whether to put these remaining eggs in the inci or hope broody will keep an eye on them. I'll be up there at 6 so I'll know what's best by then definitely. Was wondering if anyone's ever had the same thing happen but successfully saved the late hatchers

Once the hen goes off to show the chicks how to eat and drink, I've never seen them go back to the eggs.
You can do a staggered hatch in the incubator. Just put the mature ones in and don't turn them. It won't hurt the newer eggs to be at high humidity for a few days.

Well Ive whittled it down to the two and disaster struck when another egg was thrown out and me just wanting to be nosey opened the cold egg and to my surprise the chick was still alive and I really opened it up! I rushed it and the others eggs home to the inci. Put them in and 2 days on an the opened chick is still alive and the egg tooth is formed! I think it's guna hatch! And live!

Back
Top Bottom