Hen kicked fully hatched duckling out of nest

Vconde09

Songster
Apr 12, 2019
Kansas
Hello,
I have a first time broody hen and one of her duckling hatched.I found it in the middle of the coop dead this morning.The duckling was fully hatched out of egg but its "belly cord" was still attached to the egg.My question is should I worry she will do this to all the ducklings?or why did she do this?I have no incubator or anything.Thanks in advance!

The chicks are more prone to getting hurt, sick, or passing is she continues this...my best advice would be to hand raise them till they're old enough to live outside. That way, they can stay safe, warm, get their special feed without possibly harming any of your adult chickens, and being able to raise them to like you. Let her hatch out the rest, try to get something under her area so none fall or get pushed out, and then put them in a brooder with plenty of specialized chick starter, clean water, warmth, clean bedding, and a happy life! Hope that helps!

The chicks are more prone to getting hurt, sick, or passing is she continues this...my best advice would be to hand raise them till they're old enough to live outside. That way, they can stay safe, warm, get their special feed without possibly harming any of your adult chickens, and being able to raise them to like you. Let her hatch out the rest, try to get something under her area so none fall or get pushed out, and then put them in a brooder with plenty of specialized chick starter, clean water, warmth, clean bedding, and a happy life! Hope that helps!
I'm not home and my hubby called and told me another one hatched but she kept that one under her...I'm puzzled why she would kept that one under and kick the other one out?

Back
Top Bottom