Hen killed by over topping...

Kadjain

Songster
8 Years
Oct 28, 2011
Tehama, Nor Cal (way nor)
This morning I went out and find one of my favs dead. Her back was always pretty bare from rooster topping but this morning I found two huge gashes on each side of her back exactly where the roosters spurs would go. Each gash was about 2 inches long and open very wide. I'm guessing she died from shock. I'm pretty bummed and from now on if I see a hen who's back is getting bare from being topped too much I'm going to separate her till she looks better.

Has this happened to many other people?

You might consider keeping your roo's nails trimmed, and you can also remove the spurs if nescessary - although a lot of the damage is done by sharp nails. Trim them the same way you would a dog.

Yeah I would remove the spurs. How many girls does he have? If I have a rooster who is rough with the ladies I send him packing.... If he is really rough and makes them bleed I would take care of him myself right then and there.

He's a busy guy. The hen was one of his favs too and she was probably the biggest hen I had, Austro/B. Brahma cross. She laid the biggest egg too, hers are the second darkest ones in my basket avatar.

He's nice looking! I use to not be very picky about my roosters as long as they respected me... until I had Jojo. Jojo let his girls eat first, he finds treats for them, he dances for them and is never aggressive towards a single one. Very gentle when he mates and ALL the girls love him... Including me ;).

Now when I shop for roosters or raise cockerels I am extremely picky. I look for one that works for me AND my hens.

He's nice looking! I use to not be very picky about my roosters as long as they respected me... until I had Jojo. Jojo let his girls eat first, he finds treats for them, he dances for them and is never aggressive towards a single one. Very gentle when he mates and ALL the girls love him... Including me
wink.png
Now when I shop for roosters or raise cockerels I am extremely picky. I look for one that works for me AND my hens.

Ditto. Roos who abuse hens are next to useless, imo, since the entire point I keep chickens is for the eggs. Kill the egg-makers or sicken them and impact production, and you get booted from the flock.

Plus, those girls work so hard for me. The least I can do is provide them with a gentleman.

Back
Top Bottom