Hen, labored breathing, blood in stool and laying on side

Rachelle Elaine

Songster
Mar 28, 2021
Castroville, Texas (San Antonio)
Yesterday she was fine. She's about a year old. Free ranger, organic layer crumbles and corn scratch.
I noticed she was still on the roost this morning when everybody else was running around. Her breathing is really labored her whole body moves when she's breathing. It almost sounds a little bit wheezy on the exhale. She walked around a little bit this morning but she mostly has been laying down and kind of on her side.
I noticed that our crop was still full this morning and I thought usually overnight it empties mostly but I am kind of new to this.
Also her poop was mostly solid but slimy and I did see blood. Looked like dark blood rather than the bright red. It's been about 2 days since she laid an egg.
April last year coccidia ran through the coop. Everybody got treated with coreid and everybody did great. However she wasn't part of the flock at the time so I'm wondering if I should just try that? I don't have a vet nearby that does birds.
I have a video but I'm worried it's going to be all pixelated and you're not going to be able to see anything

Attachments

• IMG_20220308_075620.jpg
    IMG_20220308_075620.jpg
    693.8 KB · Views: 17
No it's been since April of last year.
I just went to go check on her again and try to feed her some water from a syringe but she had passed away.
I'm going to send her to a lab and see what they say. I hate that she was acting completely normal yesterday.
Okay, good you're sending her off.

I'm thinking it was probably a worm overload.

I haven't got her a report emailed back but the doctor did call me who completed the autopsy. He's very helpful and patient. He basically said the issue was genetics and although it might have been prevented there's no way that I could have known. He said based on her breed which she's a mutt that I got from a friend of a friend, he said she was bred to be a heavy layer and she had multiple eggs and production and was calcium deficient the lack of calcium in her body cause blood in her lungs and she actually drowned as the cause of death. He said yes calcium supplements would have helped but he said he's seen this two other times in a backyard flock in the decades that he's been there. He said this sort of issue would strike fast and there's not really warning signs to be seen. He said if I would have put a tray of oyster shells or in a calcium supplement out and seeing if the flock was heavily feeding off of it that could have told me there was a calcium deficiency which with their production would be expected.
He asked if I was using artificial light, I told him I was not. I asked him if there was a way to slow down egg production cuz these are more my pets than they are a food supply for us. He didn't have a good answer for me on that one.
He said she was a very healthy chicken a well-rounded diet a good pad? I don't know what that means. But she was not able to support what her body was bred to do. So sad, he did an analysis of the nutrition and did notice a few ringworms he said which is very common because they were free range and eat a lot of insects. He said he recommended deworming a couple times a year just to ensure nothing gets out of whack.

This is my first winter with these chicks. I do feel like them laying an egg a day seems excessive and I don't know how I can slow down production. I have six hens and one row and I get four to five eggs a day right now. The odd thing is I thought I researched breeds well enough that I didn't want heavy layers but I feel something's happening that's pushing them into overdrive. Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry about the long winded post. I'm still processing and I'm thankful I have a good forum to post to be heard.

Back
Top Bottom