Hen laying on wet nest and won't move!

Bellasmom

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
We have a drip in our coop that will get fixed but this rain storm caught me flat footed and I didn't have time to cover the coop. So the little chicken gets in there before I have time to change the bedding. That was around 3:30, it's dusk and now they are both in there. When I opened the door to shoo her she pecked me and I guess she growled at me, sounded like a hiss. It's kind of cool and I can't imagine her going this long to lay. Since I'm new at this I would like some advice! She's the daily layer, she takes off 1 day a week which if calculations are correct would be this Saturday. So there is probably an egg. When I opened it she appeared to be asleep. So I guess I'm asking if she will get chilled or should I shoo her and fix the nest even though they've gone to bed! I thought she would be out before bedtime.

Sounds like she's gone broody on you. If you wait until after it's good and dark in there she shouldn't give you too much trouble about being moved to a dry nest. On the other hand, if she's a grown chicken and it's not below freezing where you are a little dampness in the nest is going to kill her either. Her body heat will help dry the nest. My chickens were soaking wet from being out in the rain all day today and they just shrug it off and get dry overnight.

I usually am able to cover the coop before rain hits but this was one hit with thunder, lightening, wind and toad strangling rain!
sad.png
So I won't worry too much about her but I will go check in awhile with the flashlight and see if she's moved. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom