1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HEN LAYING - One of my hens is NOT laying, all same age,...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by anndee, Nov 26, 2008.

1. anndee

anndee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2007
    seattle, wa

i have 4 hens, all of which i purchased on same date, this past june. i have 4 different breeds, and for some reason the aracana is the only one that isnt laying?!
    the others have been laying since bout july. i haven't had a chance to contact the breeder (not really a breeder, but who i purchased them from), but does anyone have any info on what the reason may be?
    i was told that they were all around the same age,...
    thanks,
    anni

2. Crazy_For_Chickens

Crazy_For_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Minnesota
    She will probiby lay when she feels like it. Chickens have a mind of there own. I would just wait a little bit. Is she doing the "squat"?

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

An have an EE that lays beautiful olive green eggs - she hasn't layed for 3 weeks now.

4. anndee

anndee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2007
    seattle, wa
    thanks for the replies -
    i dont know if the non laying hen (as of yet), is doing the "squat," i am assuming she squats and does something? nothing? i havent had a whole lot of time to spend with them either.
    as long as i got a reply here, do you know why you are not supposed hang the water feeders? i would think common sense says that it could spill?
    a friend who is also getting some hens in spring had asked me that and i did not want to give her false information!
    thanks,
    anni

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My waterer is up on blocks, but not hanging. My feeder is hanging. I don't know for sure, but I would imagine that if you hung the waterer it would get bumped around quite a bit (like my feeder does) and you'd have water sloshing around and getting the bedding wet.
    As for why one girl isn't laying yet. She'll lay when she's mature enough. I have only one breed, 16 hens all the same age, and I still have three not laying yet. One just started this week. Each one is maturing at their own rate, just like human girls do.

6. shy

shy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    I have four sex-links that are from the same batch. They just turned 19 weeks. One just laid her first egg today. I am so happy. There is one that looks like she will lay any day now. And there are two who look like they still have a week or two before they are ready. They are just like people. Each is different and each matures at a different rate. I can't wait for all four to start laying. Good luck with yours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by