Hen laying shell less eggs

ChickenCrazy8

Songster
9 Years
Jan 16, 2012
Canada, Ottawa
My Coop
My Coop
Hi, I have a RIR that has been laying shell less eggs for a number of months. The eggs are totally shell less sometimes yolk or white mixed with her poop. Every once in a while she will lay an egg with a shell but on average she doesn't. I have crushed oyster shell in a bowl for my chickens, and the rest are laying fine. Is something wrong with her?
Thanks in advance,
Zoë

Wow, months... Maybe she has run the gambit and lost the ability to produce the calcium needed for the shells. You say you have oyster shell so there should be no prob there. If the eggs are passing although shell less and coming out unbroken that is the only thing I can think of off hand. Hope she picks up for ya... Steve

I am no expert on this but I have a girl that tends to lay eggs on the thin side and they are often broken after she lays. I find she does better when I use layer feed as well as oyster shells. I tried to do a flight developer with oyster shells but when I did her eggs were consistantly brittle and broken. I think some girls "egg factorys" just work better than others.

Hope you get some other good advice, I would like to know.

I have a 3 yr old leghorn that lays shell less eggs at night when she is on the roost. She gets layer feed, oyster shell and forages as much as she wants. None of the other hens have a problem. Any ideas?

Is it possible she is not eating the oyster shells? Have you tried any other calcium sourses? Just noting the original post was old.
I was looking to see if anyone may have had a solution before I posted anything. She was one of the best layers up till a few months ago. I noticed she wasn't laying than one night I was out checking on them and heard a plop and she had laid a shell less egg while sitting on the roost. I did increase the oyster shell but that hasn't made a difference in her laying.

I have an Ameraucana that laid a weird egg yesterday and one of the suggestions was to feed half a calcium pill used for humans. My problem egg did have a full shell but maybe this will help you out? I also give my birds "flaked" oyster shell. The idea is its thinner so the hens like the texture better. Mine love it. They sell this on on Amazon and Chewy.com.

I have an Ameraucana that laid a weird egg yesterday and one of the suggestions was to feed half a calcium pill used for humans. My problem egg did have a full shell but maybe this will help you out? I also give my birds "flaked" oyster shell. The idea is its thinner so the hens like the texture better. Mine love it. They sell this on on Amazon and Chewy.com.
I will have to see about changing it over - I will try anything right now lol. She isn't as friendly as the rest but I still like her :)

Back
Top Bottom