Hen laying soft-shelled eggs

TGreenhut

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
Northern, CA
My hen hasn't been laying very strong eggs lately....they haven't been soft but just thin.....until today... Today I was out gathering eggs and i found the remains of my white rock's egg (I found soft, almost skin-like, shells); it appears that she ate it because of the soft shell. A couple days ago i bought oyster shells for my chickens to solve this problem, but they won't even touch them! What should I do??

So glad to find this thread. I've had 2 soft eggs this past week. I have 10 barred-rock hens and they lay beautiful, big brown eggs. Suddenly these eggs come about. I have feeders providing oyster shells available at all times. I have no idea who is laying these soft eggs. How do I find out and should I worry about it? Today, I decided, instead of pitching the egg, I thought I'd fry it up for the dog. It was strange, I pinched the "skin" of the egg and broke it into a pan. The egg was a huge yolk!! No white to it (just a film). I don't know what to think. Has anyone had this happen? What do you suggest?

mix oyster shell with plain yogurt or sour cream and they'll eat it. Mine seemed to pick around the pieces when I had it mixed into their pellets.

Quote:
Wow that's a great idea because i noticed when I mixed the oyster shells with the feed my chickens picked around it too!

I seem to have the same problem.... One of my Leghorns laid a soft egg it looked like skin.....Kind of gross... She always lays her soft egg at night like 10:30. I know this cause I was just out there getting saddles off the girls to wash When .....PLOP..... the other girl that was on the roost started eating it! And yes ther are osyter shells out for them. I am going to try the ground up shells in sour cream. I have a bared rock that is not laying, I have not figured out who it is. Now it makes me wonder if the same thing is not happening to her egg........ Hmmm Is that the oyster shells or eggs shells

Back
Top Bottom