Hen laying weird egg?

Backyardchickens28

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2021
Santa Barbara, California
Hi, I am back again. Ever since my rooster passed my hen has been doing the same things he did. This morning she didn't get out of her coop. Sge just randomly lays around anywhere. I already ordered a spray for mites but one thing that has caught my eye is her egg laying. She doesn't lay consecutively like every day this has been going on for 1 week. And for the past 3 days she's been laying this. It's an egg without its shell. She isn't even going in her nest box to lay an egg. Anyone know anything?

Attachments

• 16261333314465977053307268715382.jpg
    16261333314465977053307268715382.jpg
    830.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Hi, I am back again. Ever since my rooster passed my hen has been doing the same things he did. This morning she didn't get out of her coop. Sge just randomly lays around anywhere. I already ordered a spray for mites but one thing that has caught my eye is her egg laying. She doesn't lay consecutively like every day this has been going on for 1 week. And for the past 3 days she's been laying this. It's an egg without its shell. She isn't even going in her nest box to lay an egg. Anyone know anything?
Do you have other chickens? I have had chickens that seemed to grieve. Standing around, staring into space, not leaving the run..I went out and bought pullets once ( gave that hen something to dislike lol but did the trick) another time I got chicks.

That looks like what was a soft shell egg. Increase her calcium. She is probably depressed. But , keep an eye on her. I’ve sadly lost chickens due to depression . Was she very close to the rooster ?

What all and how exactly are you feeding?

So you haven't dealt with the mites yet?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rooster-seems-sick-or-stressed.1478728/

Here is a question. A possum got all my hens but one- she is being treated for bumble foot. I ordered chicks for the fall, but hate to see this hen alone- she looks pretty sad. Should I get another hen for her to try to bond with, knowing it is gonna be months before she sees the chicks? should I leave her alone until then?? Should I sell her to someone with chickens after her foot heals?? Any suggestions? I keep a small backyard flock- 3 or 4. Five seems too many for me.

Here is a question. A possum got all my hens but one- she is being treated for bumble foot. I ordered chicks for the fall, but hate to see this hen alone- she looks pretty sad. Should I get another hen for her to try to bond with, knowing it is gonna be months before she sees the chicks? should I leave her alone until then?? Should I sell her to someone with chickens after her foot heals?? Any suggestions? I keep a small backyard flock- 3 or 4. Five seems too many for me.

How long is it until you get the chicks?

You can introduce her to the chicks by letting her live next to them from the very first day-- just use some kind of wire divider at first. (And make sure you don't overheat the hen while providing warmth for the chicks.) Having them right next to each other can help her feel less lonely.

I don't know what would be best between now and getting the chicks, but it would partly depend on how long that time is, and how long it takes her foot to heal.

Back
Top Bottom