1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen left her eggs :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amoo94, Aug 26, 2011.

1. amoo94

amoo94 New Egg

Jun 1, 2011
    My RIR was sitting on 3 eggs, they are due to hatch around 5th September. Today she left her eggs, i thought nothing of it as she hops off twice a day for 20 minutes or so to drink and eat, i went back and 4 hours later she is still off her eggs, they are stone cold. I placed her back on and she is happily sitting on them again, but is it too late? what will i see when candling if they are dead? Thanks

2. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Mine did the same, left her sitting on the eggs in the evening and the next day she was off them and not staying when i put her back. By the time i took the eggs in to put in a make shift bator they was stone cold, when i candled them in the evening they was all still alive so you might be ok.
    Hope they hatch, good luck.

3. amoo94

amoo94 New Egg

Jun 1, 2011
    thanks, she stayed when i sat her back on them and she's acting broody again, it seems like she just forgot all about it! But it's been a really cold, rainy day so they were very cold. What will i notice different when i candle if they are dead? is it just movement i should look for?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by