Hen lethargic, streaked clear mucus poop, after a week of laying wrinkled eggs

Jastorm

Chirping
May 12, 2020
Vancouver Island
I have a 13 month old production red layer with normal eggs till a few weeks ago, when she produced a couple of soft shelled eggs like a young pullet. One day she had the egg membrane hanging from her vent, which cleared up after a day.
After that, she began to provide daily eggs that were very large and as if wrapped in wrinkled paper. The shells were extremely thin.
The wrinkled eggs have not shown up for a week, so I don't know if she is laying normal eggs now, or none at all.
There are four other hens, so I usually get four or five eggs per day. I am thinking she has at least decreased her output, since lately I've been getting only three or four.
Now today she seemed OK this morning. Only three eggs from five hens today. I just let her out to range and she is walking slowly, standing around, eyes half closed, back feathers puffed. She left a poop that looked like egg white with white streaks in it.
The hens get commercial layer pellets of 16% protein, oyster shell, greens from the garden, free range in a back yard. They have been enjoying the compost heap and had a bunch of corn on the cob that could have been too old, two days ago.
There is a rat living under the shed adjoining the run and I have been trying to trap it with snap traps.
The run is dirt floor with hay strewn around for scratching.
They also get a sprinkle of grain for scratch.
The four other chickens are fine.
One of them sneezes occasionally.

I read that infectious bronchitis can affect the egg shells. Would it also cause the poop issue and lethargy?
Or is this something like being egg bound?
The hen seems normal weight, her vent looks healthy. However she is looking like a sick chicken now.

Update: As I was watching her and fretting outside, she just dropped a huge double yolked, shell-less egg, with the broken membrane on top of it, and then a partial calcified shell, which was like thin leather with patches of sandpaper. A small bit of blood was present on the shell.
Once that was out, she perked up a little.
Why would she be laying these strange eggs and the others laying normal ones with normal shell thickness?

Any ideas?
Thank you so much.

Last edited:
One day she had the egg membrane hanging from her vent, which cleared up after a day.
After that, she began to provide daily eggs that were very large and as if wrapped in wrinkled paper. The shells were extremely thin.

The wrinkled eggs have not shown up for a week, so I don't know if she is laying normal eggs now, or none at all.

she is walking slowly, standing around, eyes half closed, back feathers puffed. She left a poop that looked like egg white with white streaks in it.

Update: As I was watching her and fretting outside, she just dropped a huge double yolked, shell-less egg, with the broken membrane on top of it, and then a partial calcified shell, which was like thin leather with patches of sandpaper. A small bit of blood was present on the shell.
Once that was out, she perked up a little.
Can you get some photos of the eggs and poop?

When you saw the membrane hanging from the vent, did you remove it (pull it out)? You mention that it cleared up after a day. If you didn't remove the membrane, the I would wonder if it retracted/reversed back into the shell gland or oviduct since you began to see wrapped eggs after that.

Anyway...according to your update - she has passed an egg albeit a shell-less egg with a broken membrane on top and some other odd anomalies - she's perking up, which is good.
Without seeing it all...just saying from the description - if she were mine, I would get extra Calcium into her for 3-5 days. 1 Caltrate with D3 daily if you can get some of that.
I would also administer and antibiotic. Amoxicillin would be a good choice. You can order it online HERE or HERE. Amoxicillin dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 10-14 days.

As for if the cause is IB, you've never had respiratory problems in the past? Have you added new birds recently? It's possible the cause could be IB, but I would be looking at a reproductive glitch that has possibly escalated. Unfortunately, reproductive disorders can be common, but it's worth a shot to see if you can make any corrections with supportive care (calcium, vitamins, antibiotics, etc.)

As for the rat. If you have one, you have several, hate to tell you. Not sure which snap traps you are using. If it's the kind that you would need to take up during the day so the chickens don't get in them, then try "dog proof" traps like THESE. I've never had my hens bother them and they are fairly effective. Rats are smarter than we think too. I usually bait with scratch or normal feed - that's what the rats come out for. Remove all feed and water at night so they don't have access to any of that. I only give out enough treats/scratch that the birds will consume in 15 minutes or less. If there's scratch or feed around, it does attract rodents (including Squirrels and Chipmunks). I leave traps set pretty much all the time and check them daily. The compost may be attractive as well, so consider putting some traps near there too. IF all else fails, then lockable bait stations may be needed.

Just a thought.

Can you get some photos of the eggs and poop?

When you saw the membrane hanging from the vent, did you remove it (pull it out)? You mention that it cleared up after a day. If you didn't remove the membrane, the I would wonder if it retracted/reversed back into the shell gland or oviduct since you began to see wrapped eggs after that.

Anyway...according to your update - she has passed an egg albeit a shell-less egg with a broken membrane on top and some other odd anomalies - she's perking up, which is good.
Without seeing it all...just saying from the description - if she were mine, I would get extra Calcium into her for 3-5 days. 1 Caltrate with D3 daily if you can get some of that.
I would also administer and antibiotic. Amoxicillin would be a good choice. You can order it online HERE or HERE. Amoxicillin dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 10-14 days.

As for if the cause is IB, you've never had respiratory problems in the past? Have you added new birds recently? It's possible the cause could be IB, but I would be looking at a reproductive glitch that has possibly escalated. Unfortunately, reproductive disorders can be common, but it's worth a shot to see if you can make any corrections with supportive care (calcium, vitamins, antibiotics, etc.)

As for the rat. If you have one, you have several, hate to tell you. Not sure which snap traps you are using. If it's the kind that you would need to take up during the day so the chickens don't get in them, then try "dog proof" traps like THESE. I've never had my hens bother them and they are fairly effective. Rats are smarter than we think too. I usually bait with scratch or normal feed - that's what the rats come out for. Remove all feed and water at night so they don't have access to any of that. I only give out enough treats/scratch that the birds will consume in 15 minutes or less. If there's scratch or feed around, it does attract rodents (including Squirrels and Chipmunks). I leave traps set pretty much all the time and check them daily. The compost may be attractive as well, so consider putting some traps near there too. IF all else fails, then lockable bait stations may be needed.

Just a thought.
Thank you for these great suggestions. Shopping tomorrow for calcium, will order the Abx.
Rats are always trying to get the better of me. I've never seen such traps before and they look fantastic. This morning I had to deal with a tripped trap covered in blood but no rodent. As for the hen, I too, suspect a reproductive problem since no other birds show any signs of illness, and neither did this hen, until today.
I did not remove the shred of membrane, worried I would injure something. Hopefully it did not go back inside...
Its a wonder there are not more problems when you consider the sheer volume of material each chicken produces every day out of such a small body.

Attachments

• 20210515_115237.jpg
    20210515_115237.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 9
Thank you for these great suggestions. Shopping tomorrow for calcium, will order the Abx.
Rats are always trying to get the better of me. I've never seen such traps before and they look fantastic. This morning I had to deal with a tripped trap covered in blood but no rodent. As for the hen, I too, suspect a reproductive problem since no other birds show any signs of illness, and neither did this hen, until today.
I did not remove the shred of membrane, worried I would injure something. Hopefully it did not go back inside...
Its a wonder there are not more problems when you consider the sheer volume of material each chicken produces every day out of such a small body.
Hopefully she will improve, please keep me posted.

Rodents are a pain. I **think** I have them eliminated for now, but I do leave out a variety of traps now and again. I also have live cage traps and have had some success with those as well, but you have to dispatch the critter yourself, so that may not be for everyone. Not something I like doing, but changing up traps seems to help. I may set cages for a little while, then switch it up to snap traps at night, then the covered ones I put where the birds are. They are crafty little things, so change your tactics.

Back
Top Bottom