Hen limping!!

Apr 9, 2019
Maryland
My hen, Drumstick, is normally very healthy and doesn’t often have injuries.

This morning I noticed she was limping on her right foot. I tried to figure out what was causing it, but I didn’t notice anything. I provided photos.

Edit: She had poop on her foot and I washed it off the best I could but it’s still visible

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    787.7 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    987.9 KB · Views: 15
Does she seem to lose balance and use her wings to help balance, or is she just limping? Does she put weight on the leg when walking, or hold the sore leg up? Does her foot appear a little swollen compared to the other?
She's just limping. Her balance is fine. Her other behavior is still normal.
She puts weight on it when she walks and lifts it up very quickly, but when she is standing she puts less weight on it.
Her foot doesn't look swollen compared to the other, they look just around the same. :) thank you.

I would just watch her then. If she seems to be getting worse, I would limit her activity by placing her in a crate or pen with food and water for a few days. If you have very high roosts, you may want to help her get up and down or prevent her from roosting. Most times, this is just a sprain, and she should get over it in a few days or weeks.

I would just watch her then. If she seems to be getting worse, I would limit her activity by placing her in a crate or pen with food and water for a few days. If you have very high roosts, you may want to help her get up and down or prevent her from roosting. Most times, this is just a sprain, and she should get over it in a few days or weeks.
Thank you!

My favorite hen also started limping yesterday. It’s worse today. Can anyone take an educated guess as to what part of the leg might be injured based on the video? Her foot looks clean and soft and I can’t see an injury or feel any heat or anything out of place.
Ginger is a 4 year old normally healthy and top chicken of 12 hens.

My favorite hen also started limping yesterday. It’s worse today. Can anyone take an educated guess as to what part of the leg might be injured based on the video? Her foot looks clean and soft and I can’t see an injury or feel any heat or anything out of place.
Ginger is a 4 year old normally healthy and top chicken of 12 hens.

Awww :( that's so sad! It is definitely not the same type of limping as my hen. @Eggcessive ?

I had one hen that landed wrong getting knocked off the roost. She limped for a week or two but is perfectly normal walking now. I had a roost board too close to nesting boxes and she was pushed off and hit the nesting box perch board. I've since moved the roost boards back further and have had no more issues. Hope yours is minor and she will be fine in a week or two. Good luck

@ChickConcierge It looks like a sprain possibly higher up possibly in her hip or between the femur and tibia fibula joint. I am not a vet, so if she is worse in the next few days, I would try and get her xrayed. If she develops any seeming numbness or curled under toes, let us know.

upload_2019-11-6_17-17-47.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom