Hen limping!!

I thought of Mareks at first, but it seemed more like an injury, such as a dislocated hip or sprain, or a fracture. Xrays are usually a minimum of $100 and a second one is at least $50 more, and most times they like to do 2 views.
Upper leg injuries are said to be much harder to heal if there is a fracture, since splinting has to include the area above and below the break. Well, I am hoping that you see some improvement soon with the medications.

Just for info and reading, I am posting some good articles about Mareks, although I am hoping that is not the problem:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/_docs/programs/poultry/FS-1007 Recognizing and Preventing Mareks Disease in Small Flocks.pdf

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/
Thank you for the info. Another reason we didn’t x-ray was because Ginger showed no pain reaction when the vet manipulated her legs, feet, back etc.
I would have expected a little wincing or something; but nothing. I did find it interesting in the Mareks article that labored breathing was another indication. I’m glad Ginger is isolated and my youngest birds have vaccinated. It is so helpful and reassuring just have people like to talk to about this stuff. Thank you so much.

Update on Ginger. I had her put down and a necropsy done today. Without sending samples for testing the vet is pretty sure it was a cancer. Ginger had lesions on her liver and lungs but the vet didn’t seem think it was Mareks, and ruled out EYP too. Ginger also had a lot of inflammation in her abdominal cavity. Poor baby. Sooo, the limp was basically just her body giving up. She went downhill fast. By Saturday she couldn’t stand up so there was no doubt her time was up.

Sorry that you lost Ginger, but glad that you were able to get a necropsy. If you don’t mind posting it, we love to read necropsy reports. That is how we all learn from others like you. There are several types of cancer in chickens, 2 types from viruses, and the other usual types found in humans and other animals.

If you don’t mind posting it, we love to read necropsy reports.
Here’s the necropsy report on Ginger. Vet said the limp was most likely from a blood clot in her leg. I’m somewhat surprised how quickly she went from seemingly completely normal to death’s door. Poor thing was probably in more pain than I realized. 48ACABD2-3AF1-4CC0-B5B3-C42AA0ACC03A.jpeg

Update on Ginger. I had her put down and a necropsy done today. Without sending samples for testing the vet is pretty sure it was a cancer. Ginger had lesions on her liver and lungs but the vet didn’t seem think it was Mareks, and ruled out EYP too. Ginger also had a lot of inflammation in her abdominal cavity. Poor baby. Sooo, the limp was basically just her body giving up. She went downhill fast. By Saturday she couldn’t stand up so there was no doubt her time was up.

I’m so sorry to hear about Ginger. I know you did everything you could for her, I’m sure she had a great life and was lucky to have you. :hugs

Here’s the necropsy report on Ginger. Vet said the limp was most likely from a blood clot in her leg. I’m somewhat surprised how quickly she went from seemingly completely normal to death’s door. Poor thing was probably in more pain than I realized. View attachment 1969172
I am sorry that she had cancer, but that is a very common cause of death in chickens. Thanks for posting the necropsy report, and it was a good call putting her down to spare her pain and suffering.

Back
Top Bottom