Hen looks egg bound but I don't think she is.

Stephh0701

Songster
Apr 7, 2019
Florida
I have a hen that I swore was egg bound starting a week and a half ago. She was waddling like a penguin, tailfeathers downturned and abdomen was pulsing constantly. I gave her extra calcium in some scrambled eggs and am Epsom salt bath to no avail. Couldn't feel an egg in her abdomen and didn't venture to check her vent with my fingers, but I was sure she was egg bound and kept trying for 3 days to help her out. Nothing worked and I resolved myself to her needing to be culled to be humane because I know they don't last long if they're egg bound... unfortunately she snuck under a shed before I could get her and has been staked out there for almost a week. I have no idea when she was coming out to eat or drink but she hasn't died yet and now I don't think she's egg bound. She left under the shed two days ago and has taken to laying in the roosting box on the floor and this morning I found a yolk with a membrane and no white or shell... does anyone have any idea what could be wrong other than being egg bound? She's an 18 month old welsummer. Should I just leave her be until she either gets better or passes away? I'm not sure what to do with her. No worms in her stools that I can see.
20220320_162233.jpg
20220320_064831.jpg

Poor baby! Poke around a little for soft shelled eggs and see if you notice anything that you can tweak in her care. She seems to being fighting for life, so I'd give her a chance. I have a hen that lays soft shells and after 18 months she has tough days but is very happy and enjoys herself the majority of the time.

Likely she's been having trouble passing the soft shelled egg or she may have laid internally.
I would still give her Calcium for 3-5 days. Feel her abdomen for bloat or fluid.
Sadly, with reproductive issues, often the best you can do is offer supportive care. The Calcium, keep them lice/mite free, deworm (get a fecal float), see that their crop is emptying and keep them eating/drinking. Supportive care can include vitamins once a week and giving a round of antibiotics if you feel they have infection.

Back
Top Bottom