Hen lost all but one of her eggs

LAB farming

Hatching
Oct 20, 2022
My broody BO hen lost all but one of her eggs. Unfortunately that was my fault with an oversight on nesting box. I fixed the problem. Should I remove the last egg or let her hatch it? She has only been sitting for a week.

Were they developing?

How were the eggs "lost"?
They were developing. There was a gap in my nesting box and with her turning the eggs they fell out and broke. I did fix it. Obviously it's not worth her sitting on one egg (I only have one rooster and hen for now) I just feel wrong taking her one egg away, don't want to discourage her for the future.

They were developing. There was a gap in my nesting box and with her turning the eggs they fell out and broke. I did fix it. Obviously it's not worth her sitting on one egg (I only have one rooster and hen for now) I just feel wrong taking her one egg away, don't want to discourage her for the future.
Yikes! :(

Taking the egg away won't necessarily discourage her,
they are driven by hormones rather than hatching.

Might get some fertile eggs locally somewhere, let her start over?

Yikes! :(

Taking the egg away won't necessarily discourage her,
they are driven by hormones rather than hatching.

Might get some fertile eggs locally somewhere, let her start over?
Thanks. Unfortunately no Orpington's in my area. Have ordered some specially. Tough to get pure bred my side. I decided to take the egg away awhile ago, she hasn't returned to the nest since. Looks like she is over it.

Back
Top Bottom