Hen lost neck feathers

Jules333

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2023
Hi everyone. New chicken mama here seeking insight. I have a 9 mo hen who I noticed yesterday has missing feathers on her neck. Her skin doesn't appear injured or raw just naked. I have 6 other birds besides her and everyone else seems fine, no feather loss. I'm also having some issues with her crop not emptying completely at night. She seems to have a slow crop but is eating and drinking fine, laying and has lots of energy. I massage her crop several times a day. But this is probably an issue for another post. I'm just wondering if there might be a connection. Any input would be welcome!

Attachments

• 20240327_074723.jpg
    20240327_074723.jpg
    463.6 KB · Views: 17
I think it is generally a boredom/social thing and a hard habit to break. Some feel adding extra protein to their diet or adding more space can help. If it escalates to full body feather pecking/plucking, Pin Less Peepers can be use to stop the practice, and perhaps break the bad habit.

I think it is generally a boredom/social thing and a hard habit to break. Some feel adding extra protein to their diet or adding more space can help. If it escalates to full body feather pecking/plucking, Pin Less Peepers can be use to stop the practice, and perhaps break the bad habit.
Poor girl. I feel so bad for her. I'll try those suggestions. Thank you so much for your reply!

Back
Top Bottom