Hen made a strange bubbly cough noise once. not sure if i should start treating for respiratory illn

applecore5

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 7, 2012
Elizabeth, CO
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) BO 8 months old and is the same weight and size as my other chickens

2) What is the behavior, exactly. behaving normally but made a strange bubbling cough noise. it sounded like a gurgle almost. she did that once and sneezed once and that has been it. there is no eye or nasal discharge of any kind. about 1.5 weeks ago my flock was attacked by a fox since then egg production has been low. but this particular hen was not touched by the fox and has been one of 2 hens to lay regularly since. she also gave me an egg today.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? this afternoon

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no, not yet at least

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. normal amounts of layer feed, grass, bugs, some scratch grains, and normal intake of water.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? separated her from the others with food and water. not sure if i should treat or wait....

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? home treatment

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use sand in coop and dirt outside.

I think separating her and keeping her under observation seams like the best move. You might put some ACV(apple cider vinegar) in her water and a small amount of sugar to help with the stress of being separated. I hope it is nothing.

Sounds like good advise, it is probably dust or feed in her nose. Might want to take a look at her beak to see if something is lodged inside. I would not worry if it was once.

I'm trying not to worry :) but it was just a disconcerting sound... like horrible chest cold. hopefully its nothing but i have read anything respiratory spreads like crazy.

Back
Top Bottom