Hen making weird noise

KelseyPhillips

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2021
Have a hen who is several months old. Last night when checking on the them before bed I didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary. However, this morning I noticed my salmon fav. Making a constant noise, kinda like errrrr ehhhh. Then I noticed after a minute or two if that she would shake her head and make and even weirder/ louder noice. Wondering if this is normal or not...new to chickens. I did find something on the internet about worms living in her trachea? However, it said usually happens through them eating infected worms...we have super sandy soil and don’t have much or if any earth worms.

How is your pullet today? It could be stridor, which is a partial obstruction of the airway. It's often from a bit of feed that gets caught in there and will often resolve on it's own. I've had hens do it when over heated also. If it persists then it could be from a respiratory infection also. This thread has a short video of a silky with stridor, for comparison.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/silkie-w-possible-stridor.1218528/

Is she a pullet instead of a hen? Pullets are less than a year old.
Was she sitting in the nesting box or on the ground when she was making this sound?
Oh..she’s a pullet, we got her in April. She was standing on the ground. I separated her and gave her probiotics and vetrx? She is eating and drinking and seems to be okay today...she has the occasional sneezing now.

Thanks
How is your pullet today? It could be stridor, which is a partial obstruction of the airway. It's often from a bit of feed that gets caught in there and will often resolve on it's own. I've had hens do it when over heated also. If it persists then it could be from a respiratory infection also. This thread has a short video of a silky with stridor, for comparison.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/silkie-w-possible-stridor.1218528
Thanks for the help. She seems to be doing just fine today. She sounded a lot like that one in the video but with an added shake of the head and I’m guessing a sneeze? Is it safe to put her back with her flock ?

Back
Top Bottom