hen mating hen

bucky52

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2011
I have a RIR she is 10 months old.she starting laying about a month ago.i have a redstar hen she is small but a great layer.she is very sweet but meek hen.the RIR is constanly peeking her and won't let her eat.now she has started mating her.I'am sure someone on this board has had this happen.the redstar is terrified of the RIR.any ideas as what i should do.

Quote:
add a roo I think he will put the RIR in its place and let the other eat. but until then put piles of food in places were your red star can get it.

She is displaying her dominant hen behavior, it's normal in an all girl flock, all girls need a male around to keep them on track.

Why rehome her that behavior won't continue very long, they are just working out the pecking order and soon will tire when the order is set. If you replace her the same thing will happen again when a new hen arrives, just leave them be.

I have a hen that does that. I don't have a roo. She is the dominant one - and will mount the other girls. Do you have more than just the two hens ? That could be part of the problem, the red star just can't get a break from the dominant hen. In a larger flock, the dominant hen would have others to spread out her "affections" on. Mine even tries to crow like a roo now and then. Rather sad sounding and funny too.

I have two more red stars she does't bother them at all.and i have a Barrock,she also picks on the small redstar hen also.and pecks my ankles shes a meanie also.

Could just be her personality then - and that one red star happens to be the lowest on the order. Maybe try to separate her from the rest of them for a week or two ? Sometimes being in solitary for a week or two will change the pecking order around a bit - and when re-introduced she'll be viewed as an outsider and will have to earn her spot again.

Just an idea. Sometimes you just have to re-home them though if they are too aggressive. Be careful that the person taking her has a large enough flock that she won't do the same thing to them.

Back
Top Bottom