Hen maybe Hurt? or just weird

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by milleryardchx, Jul 15, 2008.

1. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    I have a 5 month old Ameraucana and she is siting on everything in my flower pots on the deck, on the bbq, under the bbq, in the cat bed, in the flower beds (not dust bath) she isn't walking around and looking for bugs as much as normal. She never lets me within 5 feet of her she looks ok her legs don't seem hurt at all... is she hurt or is she trying to figure out where she wants to lay her first egg. I mean she goes and watches my other two hens everytime they lay an egg so she knows where they do it or is she maybe hurt? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  2. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    Sounds like she's trying out nesting spots, the urge to lay is kicking in. In the absense of anything else (sneezing, discharge, puffed up, etc.) I wouldn't worry. I would, however, confine her to the coop until she knows what the nesting boxes are for.

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

She's looking for the best spot to lay...I've had eggs under the computer desk, on the couch, and on my son's bed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by