Hen molting in June?

happyhencamper

Songster
Sep 25, 2020
I have a three year old americana hen that seems to be molting now in June. I know that ruffled and unkempt feathers can sometimes mean an illness. So I started watching and noticed that there are a lot of feathers from her just like a molt all over The coop and run. So she is not just ruffled but losing feathers at a high rate.

I had an infestation of rats and have since removed the piles of grass and debris that they were living in as well as bait stations. I also am now removing water and leftovers in the run and supplying it again in the morning. The reason I bring up the rats is I also thought I saw this hen Sneeze from time to time. Just wondering if anyone knows of any diseases related to rats that may cause this molt or if a late molt sometimes occurs. I will keep watching for the sneezing.

A molt can happen at any time, including in the middle of the winter.

How's her diet? How much light is she getting a day?

On the sneezing part, @Wyorp Rock might be able to help. :)

A molt can happen at any time, including in the middle of the winter.

How's her diet? How much light is she getting a day?

On the sneezing part, @Wyorp Rock might be able to help. :)
She is eating mostly feed now that I’m not throwing scratch and lots of food scraps due to the rats. She seems fine in every other way. Good to know that Molting can occur at any time. I can’t really remember but I thought both of my white hens ( her included) molted in the fall is it possible she molts this close together

She is eating mostly feed now that I’m not throwing scratch and lots of food scraps due to the rats. She seems fine in every other way. Good to know that Molting can occur at any time. I can’t really remember but I thought both of my white hens ( her included) molted in the fall is it possible she molts this close together
What feed are you using? Do you know if there's enough nutrients in the new feed? The new feed might caused her to go into a molt depending.

What feed are you using? Do you know if there's enough nutrients in the new feed? The new feed might caused her to go into a molt depending.
Feeding mini pellets. Not new feed. What is new is I am not giving as many treats and throwing scratch all around. Nothing in coop but feed. No snacks in coop anymore. Scratch in dishes in run and left overs picked up. This was happening before the snack withdrawal. Good to know they can sometimes molt at different times though.

I have a three year old americana hen that seems to be molting now in June. I know that ruffled and unkempt feathers can sometimes mean an illness. So I started watching and noticed that there are a lot of feathers from her just like a molt all over The coop and run. So she is not just ruffled but losing feathers at a high rate.

I had an infestation of rats and have since removed the piles of grass and debris that they were living in as well as bait stations. I also am now removing water and leftovers in the run and supplying it again in the morning. The reason I bring up the rats is I also thought I saw this hen Sneeze from time to time. Just wondering if anyone knows of any diseases related to rats that may cause this molt or if a late molt sometimes occurs. I will keep watching for the sneezing.
Can you post some photos of her?
Do you see new feathers coming in?

A sneeze from time to time can be just a sneeze. Dust, food, water, etc. in the nostrils or even a bit of pollen could be an irritant.
If the sneezing is frequent and continuous, accompanied by mucous, coughing, water/bubbly eyes and other respiratory symptoms, then there's cause for concern.

Back
Top Bottom