Hen molting in the dead of winter?

ihearthens

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 10, 2012
Hi there,

We have a total of 8 hens which we got as chicks in April, and so this is their first winter. A couple of days ago we noticed that one of our Barred Rock hens was missing feathers on the back of her neck. Today, the top of her head and entire neck are just pins! None of our others hens are experiencing this issue. Is our hen molting? From what I've read elsewhere it seems that hens don't usually molt at this age, and even if they do, it's more likely to happen in the fall, not in the dead of winter. Also, I've read that it is necessary to give them a stress-free environment, including keeping them at a stable temperature. We are in Colorado and at night the temperature has been getting down into the teens. Should we bring our girl inside? It is possible that it's not molting but something else? I know she is taking water and I think she is still laying though it's hard to say if she's laying as much.

Thanks for any input you can give!

I agree fully with aoxa - mine have just started to moult too.... normally in Autumn for mine but the weather has been mild here and NOW it is freezing and there are more feathers on the coop floor than on my chickens!

Maybe I will buy them some thermal wear for Christmas!

Suzie

Back
Top Bottom