Hen Mounting other Hens Causing Injury!

ANiceKaren

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
Frazier Park California
Hi friends.. I need some help with my 2 year old Sex Link Mildred. Mildred has always been a sweet girl until she became head hen a little over a year ago when my Margaret passed away. While she is still sweet to people she is a bit of a bully. Lately, past few months Mildred has been mounting a few of my year old hens. Like.. multiple times a day! Recently this behavior caused a major injury in one of my girls. The injury is a fairly large tear under wing. I’ve gotten help in treating that and she is doing well but I’m not sure what to do with Mildred! Why is she doing this? I have 7 hens total and now my flock is divided during day for free ranging because I can’t chance Mildred mounting my poor Lilac while healing. It’s quite a pain having to switch them around during day for free ranging time. I will let Mildred and her bestie Hazel freerange while others are in run then switch them. I want my flock back together! I’ve ordered saddles but this is all mind blowing because she is a hen! I would love some suggestions on how to fix her behavior. Culling isn’t an option for me. I’ve heard about separating her but honestly she will lose her mind. Even when I put her in run away from other girls and free ranging she goes crazy! Jumping at chicken wire to get out. If I crated her I fear she’d hurt herself.. any ideas appreciated! Some pics of Ms/Mr Mildred below! Caught her in the act! 😳She is a hen.. been laying for over two years. She is very nice to people…

Attachments

• F19EDA0B-CF5C-4763-99C3-85FDB602DE9E.jpeg
    F19EDA0B-CF5C-4763-99C3-85FDB602DE9E.jpeg
    1,013.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 244B98A4-B185-4043-8A36-8FA3659F790F.jpeg
    244B98A4-B185-4043-8A36-8FA3659F790F.jpeg
    954 KB · Views: 15
  • CD330F24-5490-4AAF-9CDE-55E48A5A5968.jpeg
    CD330F24-5490-4AAF-9CDE-55E48A5A5968.jpeg
    489.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Has she still been laying since this started? I have heard about hens that ‘become roosters’ due to reproductive issues and I wonder if it could be something like that. I’ve had hens badly bully their flock mates, but never mount them like a rooster.
Hopefully the hen saddles will help! I’m sorry your poor Lilac got hurt

Just read through your post about your injured hen, so sorry to hear about that. I hate when our fluffs get hurt. I hope to see her recovering quickly!!
Came hear with a few thoughts about Mildred. I saw a video a while back about how to correct bad behavior in chickens by submitting: You squat over them with the head facing away from you, and very gently push with one hand right behind the neck, and the other on their back until they release and squat down to the ground. Then hold it for ten seconds or so. Basically you’re just recreating the same behavior they use to show dominance over one another, like your hen is doing to the others.
I’ve used this technique before on some of the roosters when they gets a bit too pushy mounting hens. It works wonders!! I give lots of pets and cuddles after words and do it as gently as I can. Best way I can describe it is it seems to humble them 😂 like their confidence gets knocked down a peg. Maybe worth a shot!
Final thought, I accidentally acquired a rooster in the beginning of my chicken journey and he was the sweetest boy. Unfortunately we lost him to a coyote when he flew over the run (lessons were learned that day). Following the loss, I noticed a change in the flock. One hen in particular took a major leadership role and became a bit bossy and even mean. We decided to quickly incubate the last of the fertile eggs to get a new roo. Once he was integrated into the flock he corrected her behavior and all was peaceful with the ladies again. I know Roosters can be difficult to manage though, especially depending on how many hens you have and the Roosters personality.

Has she still been laying since this started? I have heard about hens that ‘become roosters’ due to reproductive issues and I wonder if it could be something like that. I’ve had hens badly bully their flock mates, but never mount them like a rooster.
Hopefully the hen saddles will help! I’m sorry your poor Lilac got hurt
She is laying still. She was laying nearly every day but it’s a little less now but laying still. I think the decline could be due to her age as well.. almost 2.5 years. Thanks for responding :)

Just read through your post about your injured hen, so sorry to hear about that. I hate when our fluffs get hurt. I hope to see her recovering quickly!!
Came hear with a few thoughts about Mildred. I saw a video a while back about how to correct bad behavior in chickens by submitting: You squat over them with the head facing away from you, and very gently push with one hand right behind the neck, and the other on their back until they release and squat down to the ground. Then hold it for ten seconds or so. Basically you’re just recreating the same behavior they use to show dominance over one another, like your hen is doing to the others.
I’ve used this technique before on some of the roosters when they gets a bit too pushy mounting hens. It works wonders!! I give lots of pets and cuddles after words and do it as gently as I can. Best way I can describe it is it seems to humble them 😂 like their confidence gets knocked down a peg. Maybe worth a shot!
Final thought, I accidentally acquired a rooster in the beginning of my chicken journey and he was the sweetest boy. Unfortunately we lost him to a coyote when he flew over the run (lessons were learned that day). Following the loss, I noticed a change in the flock. One hen in particular took a major leadership role and became a bit bossy and even mean. We decided to quickly incubate the last of the fertile eggs to get a new roo. Once he was integrated into the flock he corrected her behavior and all was peaceful with the ladies again. I know Roosters can be difficult to manage though, especially depending on how many hens you have and the Roosters personality.
Hi there! Thanks for this! I actually did that yesterday when I saw her mount a different hen. I’m keeping Lilac and her separated until she heals or I can supervise! I basically did the same thing to her as she did. I’ll keep that up with the extra cuddles. Outside of being a little bossy Mildred isn’t mean. I just can’t another injury like the last one! I wasn’t prepared for that! I love roosters and can actually have one but my only concern would be the injuries that they create? Would I be having the same issues with a Roo and not Mildred? I thought about clipping her nails too but they really aren’t even that long…I hope these saddles help!! 🙏🏻 I need my flock back to “normal”. I’m for sure going to keep “mounting” her in the meantime when I catch her in the action. Thanks so much for taking the time to help me and reading my other post! I’ve had a few rough weeks with my flock!

I thought about clipping her nails too but they really aren’t even that long

Clipping her toenails was my first thought.

Even if they aren't very long they might be sharp -- I know I've gotten my arms scratched up from time to time when a hen being carried on my wrist loses her balance. So try blunting the ends of the nails.

At 2.5 years old she's likely to molt soon, which may take her down a peg for a time.

How much space do you have in your run? How much "clutter" is there to allow chickens to get out of each other's sight and to evade bullying?

Even if they aren't very long they might be sharp -- I know I've gotten my arms scratched up from time to time when a hen being carried on my wrist loses her balance. So try blunting the ends of the nails.

At 2.5 years old she's likely to molt soon, which may take her down a peg for a time.

How much space do you have in your run? How much "clutter" is there to allow chickens to get out of each other's sight and to evade bullying?
It’s interesting you mention molting. Mildred’s underside is quite bare but has been like that for months! I almost wonder if her molting or whatever is causing this issue has created this elevated need to be dominate? Perhaps she feels she may be weakening? Ha.. I’m playing chicken psychologist! I can try the nails tonight and they have lots of space. They free range all day in my large front yard. My girls have every ability to run away but when she mounts them they submit like good girls BUT I think this one time that caused the major injury something else happened.. perhaps nail for caught..? Lilac tried to run? Either way it was a mess!

Also..I do have a large ish area in my current run where I could potentially keep either the bully or victim (with a friend or two) for some time to maybe help situation… it would be a small weekend project to complete it but we could do that?

Seperate her in a see don't touch area if possible. Let her get through molt. She may be having some hormonal upset.
My experience my not be helpful or hopeful, but it is similar.
I had a hen who started doing this at around 3 years old. She too, was a very friendly girl. Beautiful and a good layer. She was even a favorite with my older rooster.
I had two roosters with my flock. Not push over roosters, but "keep the flock in line" roosters.
She fought with them, tried to knock them off "her" pullets. The other hens were terrified of her, with the exception of her mother, her sister, and daughter. Oddly enough, she never tried bullying them.
It got so bad that eventually I rehomed her, along with her small family. I hated to do so, but I tried separating her, and even moved her to another coop, with the other rooster. She and her family are doing well at their new home, and my flock is calmer.
I wish you the best of luck! I hope things work out for you and all your hens.

Back
Top Bottom