Hen mourning the loss of Rooster

Kloskys Klucks

Chirping
Apr 30, 2019
Ligonier PA.
Yesterday we needed to cull our BR rooster due to him severely injuring one of our hens. They are all around 4 months old. He had been mating nicely with his #1 favorite. He decided to go after one of our Orps. She resisted and he fiercely chased her for two days. She didn't even want to go into the coop at night. He got her outside and ripped a huge hole in her neck (she was twisting and trying to get away) causing a good bit of bleeding. Needless to say I brought her in and have been treating her. Previously when the young hens didn't want to mate he stopped. Something snapped in him to pursue her and he was enraged. His #1 hen cried all day for him. It was pathetic. Even at night she didn't seem to know where to sleep. I feel so horrible for her but we had to cull for their safety and health. (Yes, we did try to rehome him).

Instead of killing him, why not find him a new home or instead of keeping with other hens, put him with other roosters as a bachelor flock?

I think you did the right thing. A destructive rooster actually makes a pretty good broth. I don't keep mean roosters, ever.

Make sure the mourning hen is eating and drinking. I had a hen mourn the loss of two of her original flock mates after an eagle attack, one of which I was actively trying to save. I could see she was distraught, but she had clearly not been attacked herself. Unfortunately I didn't pay close enough attention and a few days later she passed away. I think she stopped eating. It may have been shock in her case. It's hard to say. I just know she was very clearly mourning, and staying to herself, and then I lost her. It broke my heart. So keep a close eye on your mourning hen and make sure she is eating and drinking. Maybe give her a favorite treat or something.

Instead of killing him, why not find him a new home or instead of keeping with other hens, put him with other roosters as a bachelor flock?
You apparently didn't read my post. We did try to rehome him. As far as a bachelor pad, he was the only male and we certainly don't want others. So your comment was insensitive.

You did the right thing. When I rehomed our rooster his #1 hen was also distraught crying out the day after. I soon noticed she was hesitating going to roost at night and found her sleeping in nesting box 2 mornings in a row. I found out the other 3 girls were pecking at her feet and not allowing her up on roost. She is lowest on pecking order and had always slept next to my rooster. I ended up placing a divider on roost so hens couldn't peck her feet. It was my only option since I only have one long roost. Roosting problem was solved and she was her happy go lucky self within a few days. :)

You did the right thing. When I rehomed our rooster his #1 hen was also distraught crying out the day after. I soon noticed she was hesitating going to roost at night and found her sleeping in nesting box 2 mornings in a row. I found out the other 3 girls were pecking at her feet and not allowing her up on roost. She is lowest on pecking order and had always slept next to my rooster. I ended up placing a divider on roost so hens couldn't peck her feet. It was my only option since I only have one long roost. Roosting problem was solved and she was her happy go lucky self within a few days. :)
Thank you so much. She is much better today. I call her Mama because she layed the first egg and is always concerned about the welfare of the others. Our hurt Hen is back with her sisters and healing nicely, no longer afraid. I'll keep in mind about the divider because she seemed hesitant about roosting. Thank you again, Donna

Back
Top Bottom