Hen moved 3 week babies from brooder into the big coop . . .

OC Chick

Songster
Sep 10, 2016
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
3 weeks ago I grafted 4 chicks to my head hen who went broody. She has been an excellent mother to the chicks and they LOVE her. I have one other full grown hen. My backyard set up is an Eglu Cube with an enclosed 9 X 18 ft run. I had set up a dog carrier as a brooder for the chicks that was in the same run. Since day 1 the chicks have been exploring and playing in the run with their protective "Mama" who has kept their "Aunt" at bay. Tonight instead of going back to the brooder to sleep, my head hen moved the three week old chicks into the Eglu Cube. I'm worried. I didn't think she would take them to the coop until they were much older. Anyone have any experience with this?

Hahaha! I love it! And I totally know what you mean. I have fruit trees that are grafted onto rootstock and have read a lot about it. Definitely not grafting chick's heads to my head hen! By the way, after a sleepless night on my part, I got up early and anxiously awaited the coop door opening. All babies emerged with their "Mama" followed by my other hen. Clearly my head hen knows what she is doing and I need to stop stressing or interfering. Can you say helicopter chicken parent? After 20 years of teaching, you would think I should know better than to be a helicopter parent.

Hahaha! I love it! And I totally know what you mean. I have fruit trees that are grafted onto rootstock and have read a lot about it. Definitely not grafting chick's heads to my head hen! By the way, after a sleepless night on my part, I got up early and anxiously awaited the coop door opening. All babies emerged with their "Mama" followed by my other hen. Clearly my head hen knows what she is doing and I need to stop stressing or interfering. Can you say helicopter chicken parent? After 20 years of teaching, you would think I should know better than to be a helicopter parent.

Chickens do that to us. The helicoptering, I mean. I never thought I would be soooo interested in chicken poo, but yesterday I was crouched over a fascinating sample, my nose just inches away, frowning into its depths, wondering what that odd bit of color in it was. Turned out to be a bit of shed intestinal lining, no worries. Thanks, BYC!

Back
Top Bottom