Hen need stitches?

Hibiclens is 4% chlorhexidene, and sold at Walmart and drug stores. It needs to be used with water or rinsed off. 2% chlorhexidene is available online and in some feed stores. Triple Antibiotic Ointment is fine to use. Your regular Vetericyn is also fine to use, followed by the ointment. Hydrogel sprays and products are now what is used in hospitals to treat wounds that are slow to heal. With those, you don’t need to keep cleaning the wound.

I agree. Such wounds generally heal readily. The issue is now the rooster. Is he too big, clumsy or aggressive? Trimming his toenails and spurs MAY help or it may be necessary to replace him.
Just a little background: we got 5 "quarantine" chicks to add to our flock of 3 hens (at that time, since 2 have passed of old age...they were 7 yrs+) and 3 were roosters (don't let the kindergarten teacher 'sex' the chicks):< Two weeks ago we gave away the most aggressive rooster who attacked us. Now we have 2 roosters to 3 hens (with hopes of getting two more hens in the spring to tip the ratio more). It obviously isn't working for 2 of the 3 hens. One rooster is kind and actually ran out in a storm to help my other hen when the other one who is newly aggressive was trying to mate and being rough (he made her back bleed and taking feathers off...will make a saddle for her today, and allow in another rooster-free roaming area). I am giving the newly aggressive one to the same friend who took my other rooster a few weeks ago. My big old hen Louise won't have it, and is bigger than him and just fine with no injuries at all.

Last edited:
I do have Betadine, and this is what I used to initially clean. Is it that much better/worth purchasing another product? I can get the Hibiclens at the store today. I just bought the Hydrogel, arriving Saturday...thanks again!!!

Back
Top Bottom