Hen need stitches?

JenEphemerata

In the Brooder
Jan 7, 2021
Wondering if stitches are needed by vet, or I can DIY this: my hen is injured under wing: several inches long and probably inflicted by rough rooster. I think it just happened yesterday (Wed) and when I took her in last night to clean what I thought was a one inch or so tear, she reacted strongly to Betadine then spray Vetracyn plus; I also gave her electrolytes in her water (she drank a lot of regular water) before keeping her inside for the night. Later after treating upon further inspection it is several inches long. She has been bothered by rooster (who will be rehomed and is currently separated from all hens): for the past few weeks he has been taking out her back feathers. Please share suggestions on closing it and if outside help is needed. I don't feel comfortable stitching it myself but can do other care. Also this injury is a day old so implications on timing are welcome. She is eating and drinking fine.
20210107_080412.jpg

No stitches... Keep doing what you're doing by keeping it clean and it should heal by itself just fine.
Can you keep her inside where flies cannot get to her?

It could be stitched if you could get a vet to see her. If you do it yourself, there would be a good chance of infection. So Inwould keep it clean and let the tissue close on it’s own gradually. Vetericyn hydrogel spray would be very good to use. Initially, I would use some 2% chlorhexidene or Hibiclens rinsed with water to clean it. If you can’t get the hydrogel, plain Neosporin may be good to use. With the hydrogel spray, you don’t need anything else or a dressing.

No stitches... Keep doing what you're doing by keeping it clean and it should heal by itself just fine.
Yes, I have a cat carrier for night and she just sits next to me at my desk:> That is good news! About how long do you think she would need to heal/stay in? Maybe I need to borrow a bigger crate. Also maybe I can have my husband rebuild our infirmary pen he just dismantled, haven't seen flies lately because it is winter. Thank you!

Yes, I have a cat carrier for night and she just sits next to me at my desk:> That is good news! About how long do you think she would need to heal/stay in? Maybe I need to borrow a bigger crate. Also maybe I can have my husband rebuild our infirmary pen he just dismantled, haven't seen flies lately because it is winter. Thank you!
I'd guess a few days to a week.
I think it just depends on how quickly she heals.

A medium to large wire dog crate with food and water is a good thing to keep around to use for a hospital crate. A clean towel or puppy pad can be used for bedding. Soon, you can put the crate back inside the coop near the others when her wound looks better. Reintegrating after a long time being out of the flock may be needed, but with the dog crate, she can spend time with them. But I would wait for the wound to heal some first, because of the dust in a coop.

I agree. Such wounds generally heal readily. The issue is now the rooster. Is he too big, clumsy or aggressive? Trimming his toenails and spurs MAY help or it may be necessary to replace him.

Back
Top Bottom