Please help! TW: wound

Osofarm11

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2024
Please help! šŸ˜­ I have a 10-11 week old cinnamon queen pullet who ended up with a big open wound on the side of her neck yesterday. Iā€™ve given her povidone iodine twice a day but Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s enough. Anyone have any idea what could have caused this?

Attachments

• 6792A677-3AC4-426D-A301-3C214ED6A3E0.jpeg
    6792A677-3AC4-426D-A301-3C214ED6A3E0.jpeg
    369 KB · Views: 19
  • 4F2A1BC7-3174-46F8-B8F6-5E6AF3B87D1B.jpeg
    4F2A1BC7-3174-46F8-B8F6-5E6AF3B87D1B.jpeg
    352.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 09AADC98-88DE-4D5B-9D13-771176F12E8F.jpeg
    09AADC98-88DE-4D5B-9D13-771176F12E8F.jpeg
    360.1 KB · Views: 5
Please help! šŸ˜­ I have a 10-11 week old cinnamon queen pullet who ended up with a big open wound on the side of her neck yesterday. Iā€™ve given her povidone iodine twice a day but Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s enough. Anyone have any idea what could have caused this?
How is she doing?

Can you clarify what you mean by "giving her Povidone Iodine twice a day"?

Clean the wound with the Povidone Iodine, then apply triple antibiotic ointment.

In the photo, the wound is on the back of the head/neck, does she also have wound on the side of her neck too?

Is she drinking/eating and alert? Likely this type of wound is caused by an adult chicken, are your chicks/pullets with the adults? How much space do they have?

How is she doing?

Can you clarify what you mean by "giving her Povidone Iodine twice a day"?

Clean the wound with the Povidone Iodine, then apply triple antibiotic ointment.

In the photo, the wound is on the back of the head/neck, does she also have wound on the side of her neck too?

Is she drinking/eating and alert? Likely this type of wound is caused by an adult chicken, are your chicks/pullets with the adults? How much space do they have?
Sorry if the thread was a bit confusing, Iā€™ve been cleaning the wound with the povidone iodine and itā€™s already pretty diluted about 10% but should I dilute it even more? I just donā€™t want to hurt her anymore than she already is. Is there any other products you would recommend for her injury?

So far yesterday when she sustained the wound, she was still pretty active (drinking, eating). Today though she didnā€™t seem too active but she was still pecking and moving around. The wound in the image is the only place where she injured. So it would be the be about where you mentioned.

Sadly she is our only current pullet as a few weeks ago weā€™ve had problems with rats entering the coop and killing/eating the chicks. Weā€™ve started to place rat poison down their tunnels which hopefully solves our rat problem. So Iā€™m quite worried if it was the rats again. She is with my other hens/roosters and for the most part they all leave her alone but my bantam Cochin rooster tends to chase her around even though they get to free range. Iā€™ve been leaving the rooster in the run as he tries to chase her but on the day she was injured, he managed to escape the run. So its a good chance this was his doing.

Edit: Both the run and the coop are pretty spacious for about the 13 birds in total that we have

Is there any other products you would recommend for her injury?
Sounds like you're treating the wound well.
If she's a bit down, offer her some electrolytes or sugar water, then encourage her to eat.

If possible, I'd cage her within the run/coop so she can still be near the flock while she recovers.

Back
Top Bottom