How to make a chicken stop laying eggs?

Magpie2

Songster
Dec 7, 2021
I have a young pullet who lays an egg almost every day. She does fine with it but she has a massive hernia on her side which was caused by a ruptured air sac when she was a chick.

She’s seen a vet and it’s not life threatening as long as it isn’t punctured. She basically has her intestines hanging out her side with just skin instead of muscle holding it in. We have her inside to keep her separate from any roosters to reduce any chances of it being punctured.

We’ve determined that she’s a very social and curious bird who would ultimately benefit from being with other birds and not just inside wreaking havoc.

We have everything figured out for the most part but I worry that with her being such a frequent layer, she could pop her stitches after the surgery. Before she started laying, the hernia was progressively getting smaller but as soon as she had her first egg, it expanded a lot. I worry that with her ~30 hour lay schedule, she’ll pop her stitches.

It’s winter now and I was hoping she’d slow down but probably due to being inside, she’s still laying lots. I figured since her bio mom went broody her first spring, we could maybe wait until then but I feel like her hernia is bigger right now and if I’m right, I’d rather have her surgery done sooner than that.

Does anyone have tips or tricks for making hens and pullets stop laying?
I know light reduction would probably help but it’s hard with her current setup. Her adoptive mom is prone to going broody so I could try letting her brood and see if her little one tries too but I just broke her and she’s moulting now so I don’t think she’ll do it again soon.
Is there a diet I could try or something? I’m at a loss.
Please share anything you know that could help. Thank you!

Attachments

• 1702418798440.jpeg
    1702418798440.jpeg
    465.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 1702418950551.jpeg
    1702418950551.jpeg
    663.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 1702418966478.jpeg
    1702418966478.jpeg
    462.4 KB · Views: 4
There isn't any besides very expensive hormone implants, that only work a few months.
I, personally, would also not risk surgery, birds don't do well with anesthetic, there's a very good chance she would never wake up. But if your vet is confident, it's worth to push up the surgery date if you desire.

There isn't any besides very expensive hormone implants, that only work a few months.
I, personally, would also not risk surgery, birds don't do well with anesthetic, there's a very good chance she would never wake up. But if your vet is confident, it's worth to push up the surgery date if you desire.
I’ve personally lost one of my favourite hens during surgery. I’m painfully aware of the risks. I don’t take my birds to that clinic for surgeries anymore.

I also have cockatiels, so the vet who would give her the surgery is an exotic avian vet. He has lots of experience with birds even smaller than mine. He does surgeries very regularly so he’s incredibly experienced.

There's nothing to stop a pullet from laying. Maybe if she has an on/off switch on her hormones.
My other option would be making a vest for her, to help hold the hernia in. That’s how we fixed her ruptured air sac ultimately. It was past the point of regular draining with a syringe.

The main problem with the vest is that she has all her feathers now and she’s bigger so I can’t just reuse the design as is.

Attachments

• 1702428145435.jpeg
    1702428145435.jpeg
    428.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 1702428179416.jpeg
    1702428179416.jpeg
    366.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 1702428216274.jpeg
    1702428216274.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom