Hen Noisy Since Starting To Lay

califarmgirl

Chirping
6 Years
May 7, 2013
Inland Valley, CA
Hi everyone! I'm having an issue with my 22 week old black star hen that just started laying a week ago. Since she's started laying she's become extremely loud, to the point that I'm worried about neighbors complaining. Her eggs are fine and vent is clean but she's only quiet when sleeping, eating or in the nest box. Otherwise she's clucking and creating a ruckus. She is second to last in the pecking order. Only my easter egger (head bossy hen) is laying. The easter egger used to be noisy but she's quieted since beginning to lay. They have food, calcium and water. Is this the way it's going to be with her or will she calm down soon? I don't want to give her up but I'll have to if she doesn't quiet down. She's louder than the dogs in my cul-de-sac. Any input would be appreciated.

For some reason a lot of my pullets do this also to some extent of another. They get crazy, loud, spooky, cranky, obnoxious in the weeks before they start to lay, they usually do calm down after a month or two. I have always put it down to their hormones making them act up.

Almost all hens and pullets sing a little egg song. I take it from your post that you don't have any roosters but if you did what I think that your pullet is doing is telling any boys within hearing that she is available. Remember that hens don't lay eggs so you and I can enjoy French Vanilla ice cream or Hollandaise sauce on our eggs Benedict, they lay to ensure the continuation of the species.

Well I live in the country so noise is not an issue but I too have noticed that when I enter the barn it sounds like IV got a bunch of crazy dinosaurs roaming in their....yowsers its loud and a bit creepy...

Almost all hens and pullets sing a little egg song.  I take it from your post that you don't have any roosters but if you did what I think that your pullet is doing is telling any boys within hearing that she is available.  Remember that hens don't lay eggs so you and I can enjoy French Vanilla ice cream or Hollandaise sauce on our eggs Benedict, they lay to ensure the continuation of the species.  
I hadn't thought of that. No roosters but I'm sure if there are any within a mile they'd hear her. The little hussy. :)

Back
Top Bottom