Hen not digesting right - please help

Michelle619

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2019
Hello,
I have a 1.5 year old hen. She is not digesting her food right. Corn is coming out whole (and other food). She is eating regularly and drinking, moving around as usual. Even laying eggs. I have pictures if requested (Who really wants to see pictures of poop?). Regardless, something is not right.

Hello,
I have a 1.5 year old hen. She is not digesting her food right. Corn is coming out whole (and other food). She is eating regularly and drinking, moving around as usual. Even laying eggs. I have pictures if requested (Who really wants to see pictures of poop?). Regardless, something is not right.
We want to see pictures of the poop. Examining the excrement of our pets daily is a very responsible thing to do so don't worry about it.
Do you have grit available free choice?
What are you feeding the flock?
Is her crop empty first thing in the morning and full at night?

Picture 1 is from this morning. It is more spread out because I sifted through it.
2, is inside the coop.

Yes, I offer grit. They have cups in their coop and out in the yard
The flock free ranges
They are eating Nutrena Naturewise Country Feeds Egg Producer (planning on switching to a lower protein level once our weather warms up)

Attachments

• IMG_5789.JPG
    IMG_5789.JPG
    873.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5790.JPG
    IMG_5790.JPG
    742.2 KB · Views: 5
I have not checked the crop first thing this morning to see if it was empty. I will tomorrow morning.

Picture 1 is from this morning. It is more spread out because I sifted through it.
2, is inside the coop.

Yes, I offer grit. They have cups in their coop and out in the yard
The flock free ranges
They are eating Nutrena Naturewise Country Feeds Egg Producer (planning on switching to a lower protein level once our weather warms up)
That's a lot of corn. I would stop feeding it entirely. It is just diluting the protein content of their layer feed and you are going to drop it again. (I personally would not do that).

I really am not feeding it entirely. It is a treat in the morning (not just corn). She really prefers the meal worms. I do agree that that is a ton of corn!

I would stop the corn except for very occasionally. While you may not be offering that much, some birds will avoid everything else and just fill up on that. It's like candy to them. Back off on everything except their regular feed and see if things improve.

Back
Top Bottom