Hen not eating/drinking/poopy butt & unidentified squishy "thing" (pic)

aussiemixmom

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 28, 2011
We have a small flock (8 hens). The hen that is sick is a 2 year old Polish Hen.
About two days ago I noticed that she was fluffed up and not staying with the flock as usual.
Yesterday as I was ready to leave for work I seen her in the pasture, alone, sitting in the rain.
I brought her in the "baby coop" (inside the regular coop but separated by chicken wire as a separate section that we used when we slowly introduced the baby chicks as they got older to the older flock) and left her with food and water till I came back home.

Today my husband stayed home to check her out see what we can do to help her.

She is fluffed up, does not want to walk only sits, and does not appear to be wanting to eat or drink. She is very light/skinny and her crop is empty. Her butt had caked on poop which smells (to me, not hubby)

The chickens have a large walk in coop that also has a smaller coop within that coop for when we had introduced new/baby chickens. The coop is a lean-to extension from the barn with concrete floors, wood shavings on floor and straw in the nesting bins. In the morning we open the door from the coop to the outside where they have about 1/2 acre fenced in area for free ranging with a three sided shelter and water. At night they are locked up in the coop till morning.
Food is Purina laying hen pellets and in the evening we give a small amount of scratch for them to eat. Occasionally we give salad greens, bread and pumpkin (seasonal) as treats.

Hubby gave her a "butt soak" today in Epson salt, cleaned up her butt (bless his heart), blow dryed her and put her inside in a enclosure with a heat lamp with food and water. I don't believe she has touched any of it. We have given her a product called "Poultry Nutri-Drench" which is a "rapid, rich nutrition supplement for all classes of poultry".

When I got home hubby gave me the run down and showed me something "he plucked off her butt" while cleaning - well it was floating in the water when he bathed her. He seems concerned about it and thought it would be good to see if anyone has any idea what it might be. Its squishy/spongy and I have no idea what it could be.

As of me typing this she still has not eaten or drank and is sitting in one spot.

Any advise/suggestion would be appreciated. I hope we can save her!
chickenbutt.jpg
:(

Wow, I have never seen anything like that before! Could it be something that has stuck to her from the ground or do you think she pooped it out? I can't say I could be much help on the issue but keep us updated as it seems interesting. Good luck with the little one. Hope she's feeling better soon. She seems like she's in the best hands with you and your husband.

Back
Top Bottom