Hen not eatting!

EllieMae77

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2020
Hi, I have one hen [Shes in a pin with one roaster who isnt very demanding}. I noticed today her cone was down. I checked her craw for a blockage. Gave her a water flush just to find what she had in her craw was water. Soon as it it all came out there was no bulge at all. She will drink water but dont care to eat. Her egg laying has sometimes been steady ,than not. She isnt very active, just kinda stands there. My hearts breaking has anyone got any ideas?

How old is she? What breed is she? Some breeds can have a flopped over comb, and that can be normal. But sometimes that can be from dehydration. How long since she laid an egg? Is her tail position up or down? Can you offer some scrambled egg bits, and watery chicken feed or tuna, to tempt her to eat? Water is more important. Electrolytes or a little gatorade can be good. I would not make her vomit, since that can cause them to choke. Recheck her crop early in the morning before she eats or drinks.

Hi, She is Rhode Island Red. Her cone has always stood up but i noticed it today laying down. She was born April/May 2020. and she hasnt layed in probably 3 or 4 days. Which has happen before. I just figured it had to do with lighting, around her pin. Is there a way I can give her something to help her with her nutrition. And her tail is up.

The foods I listed above would be good in moderation. Not too many treats, since chicken feed is well balanced. If you have some human B complex or chicken vitamins, those could be good to use as well.

Thank you! I went to Tactor Supply, got her some Electrolyte, Poultry Cell, and some Flock Party oat & mealworms. and she managed to eat a little. Thank you for your time. I'll keep you updated.

Back
Top Bottom