ProjectChick

Songster
5 Years
Aug 23, 2014
Iowa
My Coop
My Coop
Good morning,

I have a hen that does not appear to be feeling well. She is eating and drinking, but moving very slowly and appears to have a crusty behind. I took a couple pictures of stools from her and was wondering if what you guys thought. Do they look normal? They had lots of bubbles.

That is a perfect example of classic sick-chicken poop. If she keeps up pooping like that and doesn't start acting better, then she's got something wrong. Isolate her asap, to give her a chance to rest and keep any likley disease from spreading through the flock. Acting sluggish and runny poop are two of the most common symptoms of a sick chicken, can you be a little more specific? Is there anything else abnormal you have noticed?

How old is she, and has she been laying eggs normally in recent days or weeks? Is she walking normally or lying around more often? Have you wormed her? I have seen some droppings like this in older hens who might have had some reproductive issues. If you have a local vet who could do a fecal test on a few fresh droppings it might help to rule out worms or coccidiosis.

Back
Top Bottom