Hen not laying after 20weeks

MaxFoli

Hatching
Aug 14, 2016
Hello guys - good day to you all..

So I'm new her and I stumble upon this amazing page while trying to find reasons why my hens wouldn't lay after 20weeks?

Please someone grace me with your wisdom of the reasons why and of a solution, if any.

Greetings and :welcome. Happy you joined us. Sorry your layers seem slow. But maybe they are right on schedule. 4-5-6 months is the normal time hens begin to lay - often it depends on the breed you have as some are much earlier than others. Assuming your flock is happy and healthy, I advise patience. You'll have that first surprise soon! Good luck to you! :)

Hi and welcome to BYC - glad to have you onboard with us. I've never had a pullet lay at such a young age. A reddening of the comb and face, squatting for you when you approach and checking out the nesting areas are signs that she is getting her plumbing sorted out in readiness to lay.

CT

:welcome

Think about it this way. Female humans GENERALLY start to cycle around 12-14 years of age - some earlier, some later - they all mature at a different rate. Same with chickens. They'll get there. :)

For most breeds 20 to 24 weeks is normal for chicks hatched late winter early spring. For sex-links,production-reds, white leghorns, 17 to 19 is normal. But can be sooner or later.
I have golden comets, a sex-link, 2 of 5 started at 17 1/2 weeks, 1 at 19, another 2 days after that. At 19 1/2 weeks still waiting on the the fifth girl.
The weather can have a lot to do with it. Right after the first two started to lay we went into a heat wave. Heat index of 100 to 105% Fahrenheit. Then the humidity dropped for 3 days and 2 more girls started to lay. Now we're back to 105+ heat induces. I went looking around yesterday for a large shallow pan to fill with water. My girls love it, walking in it to cool off. GC

Thanks very much
1f64f.png
@ GC Bobbi-j CTKen and redsoxs

I agree with the whole depends on breed thing. My EEs and Cuckoo Maran have been consistent layers but not a one from my Barred Rock. One of my EEs hasnt laid yet, so it could also just be an individual thing

Back
Top Bottom