Hen not laying, not eating much, moving slowly

cellochck

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 21, 2009
Union, ME
I have a red-laced Wynadotte that is just not herself. She stopped laying a few days ago. She was always the first out of the coop and the first to run up to you when you stepped out the door. Over the couple days I noticed that she is hanging back. She eats fresh food I put out, but isn't eating the feed. She is also drinking ALOT! I think she might be a little congested too. She follows the rest of the flock when they are free ranging. Everyone else seems fine. Not sure what I should do for her. She is a wonderful girl, and I would hate to loose her. Any thoughts?

My little Bantam Serama hen was like that on Thursday, Friday I gave her a warm bath, she seemed to enjoy it. Then she died. Before I could dry her off!
hit.gif

I checked for mites and lice and didn't see them. She seemed to get a bit better earlier this week, but she continues not to lay. She eating and drinking, but her appetite is still not normal. She doesn't have any congestion. Her comb seems a little pale to me, and her poo is runny. None of the other chickens are having issues. Could it be worms? If she is egg bound what can I do?

I had one of my BO hens do that a few weeks ago, and unfortuenetly she died.

One of my other hens got poopy butt the next week. No pale comb, but the runs were enough to make me panic.
I removed her from the group. Put wormer in all the waters and brought Audrey into the house for two days.
I washed her butt off, fed her yogurt and prayed. Next evening she was perkier and wanted OUT.
Been doing "butt check" daily since we lost Olivia.
sad.png

Last edited:
well, I've looked through the poop and don't see anything moving. I've cleaned out the coop. I went to the feed store around the corner to look at wormers, but I wasn't sure what to get. They had a bunch of water conditioners that added vitamins and stuff, but the only wormer they had was safe guard. They had the pellets and it said it covered most types of worms, but I wasn't sure since the only poultry it listed was turkeys.

I had a similar experience with mine..I tried everything...thought it was worms, mites, stuck egg...but I think in the end it may have been egg peritonitis...she just started eating less and less and got weaker and weaker and had a very swollen belly/hind end. It's so hard not knowing what's wrong with them and watching them fade is even worse...I hope you can figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom