Hen not moving, drinking or eating

Cluckandquack

In the Brooder
May 27, 2020
England, UK
*I'm posting this again because there's no replies on my previous post and I'm getting desperate, I'm really worried about her.*

Hello, in need of some help please. We recently got two five month old Silkie chickens, a hen and a rooster. We've had them for about three weeks and they've been doing great, if a little timid. We noticed that our hen was lay still in the grass and went to go check on her. She wasn't responding at all, she just lay there and didn't shy away from us like she usually does. Fifteen minutes earlier she had been running around and seemed fine. We brought her inside and out her in a box and tried to offer her water, but she didn't take it so we tried to syringe her some. Her eyes are closed and she isn't moving, her breathing seems to be okay - kind of slow and deep. She feels and looks fine, no lice or ticks, not thin. Our rooster is seemingly healthy, acting completely normal. We read sugar water with some salt and bicarbonate of soda is what we should try, so we tried to syringe her some of that but she won't take any. Does anyone know what could be wrong with her? Any advice is really appreciated, thank you

Attachments

• 1590621628836629570199722320004.jpg
    1590621628836629570199722320004.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
She hasn't pooped since we brought her inside, about six hours ago, before that I don't know because she was in the garden. She's never layed eggs, we figured she was still too young since she's not 7 months yet.

Is this possible with her being less than six months? I've read that silkies start laying at 7-9 months, and some even later? Thank you for the suggestion though, it's really helpful, I will have to do some googling and find out what to do to help her if she is egg bound

I was feeling around her abdomen to see if she could be egg bound and her tummy does feel hard but it's difficult to tell with all of her feathers still coming in. She did poop, which I think is a good sign? She's still not moving though, still very limp and lethargic

If she is egg bound you should be able to place a finger inside of her vent and feel an egg. Unfortunately there isnt much you can do if they are egg bound because it simply has to come out. If you feel an egg try lubing her insides up with a little olive oil. What do you mean by "her tummy"? Chickens have a very different digestive system then ours. The crop is located in front before the legs. It should feel squishy if she hasnt eaten. If it feels hard she could have an infection. Smell her breath. If it smells sour or funky she could have a yeast infection in her crop which can be treated with metronidazole. If you have a rectal thermometer it might be a good idea to take her temp to check for infection.

Also it doesn't say in your profile where you are located but it has been rather warm. She could just be hot if she's been outside all day. Chickens need shade and dirt to help them cool off in hot weather. Try bringing her into the AC and see if she perks up. Best of luck

I did some research on the symptoms of an egg bound hen and she doesn't have all the symptoms, but it suggested a warm shallow bath which I've done now just in case. She pooped again in the bath which makes me think she may not be egg bound because apparently they don't poop and when they do it's watery, but hers is solid. By tummy I just mean her underside area, I felt for her crop as you suggested and its squishy, feels kind of like a bean bag, not smooth but still soft? Her breath doesn't seem to smell from what I can tell, but she didn't want me to open her beak so I couldn't really get a good sniff. The only thermometer we have is a meat thermometer, which I guess would work if needed. Also, I'm in England, it's been warm today but she's mostly been in the shade, she was in the sun for a bit and when she went for water, but then she was just wandering in the grass in the shade. Now the only thing I can really think of is maybe she's in shock? There's a lot of cats in our area and maybe one could have spooked her?

I'd examine her throughly for possible injury. Please do not use a meat thermometer. Crop sounds normal. The only other thing I can think of other than possible infection would be possibly a reproductive issue but that is doubtful based on the fact that she hasnt layed yet although not impossible. @Eggcessive might be able to help more. I am doubting egg bound.

Back
Top Bottom