Hen not moving from nest box

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newhen26, Feb 4, 2011.

1. newhen26

newhen26 New Egg

Feb 4, 2011
    I have a hen that hasn't moved much from the nest box. She is only about a year old and has been laying eggs. I have only seven hens, no roosters, with enough space in the coop. Lately I've noticed that the hen has been in the nest box each time I go to the coop. I didn't think much of it at first. I thought maybe the hen was just trying to stay warm. The weather has been very cold the last few weeks. However, when I lifted the hen from the nest box to check for eggs, I noticed the hen has lost a lot of her feathers underneathe. I also noticed that her comb is a little white on the very tip. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my poor hen.[​IMG]

2. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Sounds like she is broody, it is totally natural.

If you want her to hatch some chicks you can buy some fertile eggs on eBay BYC or somewhere else, or you can try to stop her from being broody.

How long has she been doing this?

ETA: [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    She could be broody or she could be ill. Does she hiss or puff out her feathers when you approach her? That's a sign of broodiness. If she is listless and doesn't react when you disturb her on the nest, she might well be ill rather than broody. If that's the case, check her over carefully for mites. She could also be egg bound.

4. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    If she is staying in the nest box AND has no or very few feathers on her underside, I would say she is definitely broody! A broody will pull her own feathers out so that there is direct contact with the eggs to control temp and humidity...

edited for typos..

Goddess [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  5. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Yup, thats a sure sign you've got a broody girl!!! I would know, I have one whose going on 4 weeks of being broody!! Just make sure she gets off the nest box a few times during the day to eat/drink/poo. Hopefully yours won't be broody as long as mine has.
    & [​IMG]

6. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    sounds broody to me. they kind of go into a trance when they are in that hormonal state and seem listless and not very responsive after a few days of it. My girl is kind of limp when I pick her up off the nest (she's a little bantie), but it's important to take them off a few times a day if you can so they will eat, drink and poo. If you want more into, go to the behavior and laying section and there are usually threads related to broody behavior there.
    [​IMG]

7. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Even is she is broody I would try and put some food and water in front of her and get her to eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by