Hen not sharing the coop

Iluvchickens23

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 19, 2014
I have four hens, two of which have just started laying. The first to lay was my RIR followed closely by my Light Brahma, who now takes over the entire coop when laying an egg. She squaks and makes other loud noises when anyone or anything gets near the coop. We have to remove all the others from the main run, forcing the RIR to lay underneath a bush. We have since set up a nest box under said bush for her comfort. Fall is here and winter is fast approaching. What am I going to do when it gets too cold for them to lay outside. How do I keep my Brahma from bogarting the coop??

Seperate her from flock for a week or put her in a cage inside the coop. The pecking order may change and make her less dominate. There always seems to be one girl who makes every one's life chaotic lol. I don't have any problems like this but it's what I would try. How many nesting boxes are inside the coop and is there enough room for all the girls? Good luck someone else will come along with more experience and give you some tips I'm sure. :D

I have four hens, two of which have just started laying. The first to lay was my RIR followed closely by my Light Brahma, who now takes over the entire coop when laying an egg. She squaks and makes other loud noises when anyone or anything gets near the coop. We have to remove all the others from the main run, forcing the RIR to lay underneath a bush. We have since set up a nest box under said bush for her comfort. Fall is here and winter is fast approaching. What am I going to do when it gets too cold for them to lay outside. How do I keep my Brahma from bogarting the coop??
You have to???
Is she physically attacking the other birds, drawing blood?
If not, just let them work it out....separating her will just compound the problem and add stress for everyone.
How big is your coop and run?

New layers can act pretty weird, and be very noisy.

She doesnt attack the other chickens and I can't really tell who's the "top-dog" in the flock. She however is the biggest chicken, they have plenty of room in the coop and I set up two nest boxes. I think my RIR has adapted by laying earlier than the Brahma. Very smart chicken. Thanks for the feedback :)

Back
Top Bottom