Hen not sitting while roosting at night

I would watch her in the morning and just see if she is going out to roam, and eat and drink. You can insert a clean finger 1-2 inches into her vent to check for a stuck egg. Feel of her crop early morning to make sure that it is emptying. Chickens are good at hiding symptoms of illness, but many start out separating themselves and acting lethargic, or have a poor appetite. At 3 reproductive issues may be more common.

Good to know others have seen this happen. (Not that I am happy it happens to other chickens because that's sad, just happy we aren't alone and you all have experience). I don't even care to get eggs from this poor hen, I just don't want to her hurting in any way. These hens are more like pets with that added bonus of getting eggs of course! But at the end of the day, if they don't lay but are okay, that's fine with me. It's just learning when they are becoming ill or something that's not right and figuring out if it's something I can do to help or it's a vet job.

That's awesome she was able to recover on her own! I was hoping that would happen with my one hen that I did put down 2 weeks ago. But she was in bad shape. This current hen is displaying similar symptoms but not as severe (knock on wood). So I'm not sure if it's just a matter of time before she gets worse or if this is something totally different and that she will be fine on her own . Also good to know your hens sleep standing as well!! I always noticed mine to sit on the roost until recently...but maybe they did it more than I realized! I'm only 3 years into chicken keeping and this is my first and only flock so i don't have anything to compare it too. Lots of learning here!
How is she doing?
Did you check her crop, feel her abdomen or inside the vent?
I would check to see that her crop is empty first thing in the morning and also feel her abdomen below the vent between the legs for any bloat or swelling/feeling of fullness.
She didn't lay an egg today - I'm going to assume she's a consistent layer? Since she's pooping, likely she's not egg bound, but it's worth feeling inside the vent about 1-2" for an egg.
It almost sounds like she may be having trouble with a soft shelled egg - but hard to know.

Keep us posted.

I would watch her in the morning and just see if she is going out to roam, and eat and drink. You can insert a clean finger 1-2 inches into her vent to check for a stuck egg. Feel of her crop early morning to make sure that it is emptying. Chickens are good at hiding symptoms of illness, but many start out separating themselves and acting lethargic, or have a poor appetite. At 3 reproductive issues may be more common.
Thank you! She did seem kind of normal later this afternoon. Not as quick as she normally but she was hanging with her two sisters and came to get some treats. I been watching her like a hawk! Haha

Back
Top Bottom