Hen not standing or walking

Beckid974

Chirping
Apr 28, 2018
Central WV
I have an approximately 8 month old Golden Comet hen who is unable to walk or stand She was fine at last check yesterday but when I went out to feed this morning she was standing in the run and just fell over when she went to run to the meal worms with the others. I tried standing her up a couple times, and she would just take a step or two then fall forward on her chest. I have isolated her in a dog cage with straw food and water. I added a couple drops of oregano oil to the water. Feed is layer, and they get assorted treats. Most recent different treat was the Thanksgiving turkey carcass. She has no sign of injury anywhere, and everyone else seems fine. There is some green runny poop in the run but no way to tell who it came from. A Google search says it might be a vitamin deficiency so I am planning a stop at tractor supply for a supplement but wanted to check that there wasn't anything else I should get in case that doesn't help in a couple days. Thanks all......

I would place her in a basket in the house or in a dog crate inside the coop for observation. Get some Poultry Cell vitamins with electrolytes, which also has riboflavin or B2. Poultry NutriDrench does not. Give her several drops of vitamins up to 3 ml. Or you may use powder vitamins in the water. Can you insert one finger into her vent up to your knuckle to check for a stuck egg inside (normal feels just like soft tissue.) Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease or have you lost others with odd symptoms before?

I would place her in a basket in the house or in a dog crate inside the coop for observation. Get some Poultry Cell vitamins with electrolytes, which also has riboflavin or B2. Poultry NutriDrench does not. Give her several drops of vitamins up to 3 ml. Or you may use powder vitamins in the water. Can you insert one finger into her vent up to your knuckle to check for a stuck egg inside (normal feels just like soft tissue.) Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease or have you lost others with odd symptoms before?

They are not vaccinated. I did lose another younger one a few weeks ago unexpectedly, with no symptoms. Just found her dead one morning. But she was in a competely separate coop and run with one other hen who is perfectly fine and still separate from the others.

Back
Top Bottom