Hen on 14 eggs in Hay field @ mowing time

ChickBond 007

Licensed to Cull
11 Years
Feb 26, 2009
Madison County, Iowa
Well, it's time to harvest the hay in the 30 acres hay field that surrounds my house. Two on my mallard hens have decided that it's time to go broody. I've found one, about 7 feet into the hay field sitting on 14 eggs. I cannot find the other, but assume she's doing the same if she's still alive.
Should I:
1. Fence around the hen I can find and tell my farmer (rented hay ground) to mow around her
2. Pick her up and pick the eggs up and attempt to move her to a dog kennel cage
3. Pick her up, put her with the drakes, put the eggs in the incubator.
4. Pick her up, lock her up, and do away with 14 eggs.
I have 11 or 12 mallards right now, some of unknown sex. That seems like a lot.

City gurl here - so I have no idea -

pop.gif

I would go with whatever feels right to you. Ultimately, it's your decision.
At least you found one though!
big_smile.png

Personally, I'd take the eggs and set them in the incubator, since the noise and movement from mowing around her might scare her off of the nest.
Although I've heard of mallard hens being run over by mowers too, so you definitely want to at least tell the farmer there may be a couple ducks sitting around in his field.
tongue.png

I would either fence her and mow around her, or move her to a dog kennel. Either way if she gets off the eggs, have the incubator ready! Since Mallards are more wild than domesticated, it might be best to try to leave her in the field since she might not appreciate the dog kennel too much...

I hope you can find the other one!

Back
Top Bottom