Hen on antibiotics, can she eat her own eggs?

lv9777

Songster
Aug 29, 2021
Michigan
I have a hen being treated for bumblefoot and I know we cannot her eggs for a while. My question is can she? I hate to throw them away and since she is already on the medication can I feed them to her. I wont let the other chickens eat them because we do not want any drug resistance in the flock. Any thougths?

I have a hen being treated for bumblefoot and I know we cannot her eggs for a while. My question is can she? I hate to throw them away and since she is already on the medication can I feed them to her. I wont let the other chickens eat them because we do not want any drug resistance in the flock. Any thougths?
Yes. But that is like giving her the drug so it adds time to the period you can’t eat them.
Basically not an issue while she is still on the course of antibiotics, but once she stops the course you should throw them out so you don’t add to the days she is receiving drug.
Hope that makes sense.

Yes. But that is like giving her the drug so it adds time to the period you can’t eat them.
Basically not an issue while she is still on the course of antibiotics, but once she stops the course you should throw them out so you don’t add to the days she is receiving drug.
Hope that makes sense.
Yes makes sense. I am mixing it in her food so she is not getting 100% of the medication. Therefore a little extra this way can't hurt. Putting it in her food is so much less stressful for her and easy. By the time we are done with the medication, she will probably be done laying for the season. :)

Back
Top Bottom